My very first camera, what was yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilles, Jun 13, 2005.

1. The first camera i used to learn to take picture. The lightmeter was provided in each film box, it was on the instruction sheet coming with each film that showed little photos of differents scenes with the lens opening to use.

[​IMG]

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Mine was a Nikon F3. Sorry, no pic - it got stolen.

3. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Mine was a Vivitar 190 point and shoot 35mm. I lost mine to the Med. Sea due to a rogue wave...First digi was a Kodak 4800

Joel.

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    mine was a minolta SRT101 . Match needle metering.

5. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    my first digital was an olympus 4040

6. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Medium Format

YashicaMat 124. A medium format camera with a match needle metering system. A wonderful camera where composition was easy as it was a 2 1/4 in square. Onlt 12 pictires per 120 roll (couldn't find 220 localy).

7. My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic. My first SLR was a Konica Autoreflex T3.

8. GaryW

GaryW Guest

First camera was a Nikkormat FTN. I wish I still had it.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    First camera was an Instamatic. First real camera was a Canon TLb...then an AE-1 Program. Then switched to Nikon N65...F100...D2h

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

As a child I had a Brownie Hawkeye, but at age 16 I "graduated" to a Rolleicord - quite a camera!

brownie-1-350.

(This is not my camera - it's long gone)
    [​IMG]

11. MIne was a nikon F70.

Oppps! I lied. it was a Canon T50. :lol: Then a nikon F70.

12. An Ensign Ful Vue II back when I was about 12 in 1956. A very simple camera described in
    http://www.ensign.demon.co.uk/ful-vue.htm
    I then "graduated" to an Ilford sportsman around 1960. My first Nikon was a Nikon F bought second hand in the mid sixties and I have used Nikon ever since.

13. That's a good question. The one I used to have was a Pentax, no idea about the model. I do remember the lenses "screwed" into the body. I want to say 1960ish, though I have no clue. I gave that to my sister when my dad gave me another Pentax that was a "little better". I'll have to dig it out of the closet to see what model. I kind of miss the all metal body those cameras had.

14. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Zeiss Ikon, similar to the first camera in the thread, but with a separate viewfinder on a stalk to the side of the accordion. Then an Exakta Varex, Oly 4 - then into digital.

15. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    My first was a Kodak pocket INSTAMATIC 10 (110 film). It had five interchangeable "stickers" that let you "customize" the top panel over the viewfinder. I also had an old Polaroid of some form...not sure.

[​IMG]

I then moved up to a Canon Sure Shot that my father brought back from Japan.

[​IMG]

Then, I took Photography at Ohio State, and purchased a Nikon FG. I still love that little gem. It was Nikon's first multi-mode AE camera. All metal body baby!

[​IMG]

Now, I have the D1.

C

16. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    the first camera i used to take a photo was a yashica electro 35. first camera i owned (a gift from my godmother when i was five i think) was a diana f. i didn't own an slr until high school (fuji st-601n, match-needle metering). first nikon was an EM, also in high school. it was a step down in features from my fuji ax-5 (a canon a-1 clone), but that was the start of my nikon experience.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My parents gave me an Instamatic 104 for my birthday in the mid 60s (I forget exactly which year.) It used flashcubes and took 126 sized film cartridges. I took hundreds of photos with it.

The first camera I bought for myself after graduating college and getting a real job was a Mamiya 645 which I still have.

18. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    My fist camera was a Yashica 35mm with one 50mm lens. I don't remember the model, I sold it long ago.

My uncle who was an avid amateur photographer talked me into trying photography, took me to the store and told me what to get. That was about 35 years ago and I have not given up the hobby since. I am very grateful for him planting the seed in me.

19. The Nikon things I have are an old Nikkormat FT, Nikon F2, lenses 24-50-105; micro 55 and 105. El Nikkor lens 50-63-80-150 and 150 wide-angle apo nikkor, and a pair of binocular.

20. My very first "real" camera was a Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL with good old fashion stop down metering. Hey. it did have a spot meter. From there I jumped to a Nikon F, then a pair of F2's and then upgraded to F3's. Of course this doesn't include the four 4x5 camera's I also used.