My very first water drop keeper!

I know how to photograph transparent glass, and water has the same photographic properties, so I chose a standard lighting system for photographing transparent glass for use with my very first water drop photos. The first photo is my first water drop keeper. To keep things simple in the beginning, I used only one water drop.

It's very exciting to know that I now have a whole new genre of tabletop photography to explore. That's true especially realizing that the opportunity for creativity is endless.

EDIT: The second photo is also just one water drop that became broken into several droplets.

Mike 2020-01-09--018-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2020-01-09--035-S.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Mike very nicely done. Your first “keeper” looks very nicely done. I am super excited to see what you do when you get to colors, different mediums, and collisions!

I added a second photo to the first post in the thread. It was produced by dispensing just one water drop but at some point after it hit the surface of the water in the container below, it was broken into several droplets. Is it likely that it broke into parts on the way up after hitting the water's surface or is it likely that it broke into parts afterward on the return back down? Is there a good source for explaining that stuff concisely in lay terms for dummies like me?

Real Name
Chris
I added a second photo to the first post in the thread. It was produced by dispensing just one water drop but at some point after it hit the surface of the water in the container below, it was broken into several droplets. Is it likely that it broke into parts on the way up after hitting the water's surface or is it likely that it broke into parts afterward on the return back down? Is there a good source for explaining that stuff concisely in lay terms for dummies like me?
I like it! That’s interesting and I wish I had a good answer for you but I’ve never seen that happen with a single drop. Normally the surface tension of the water limits me to one drop on the rebound and it’s mostly attached, sometimes one separates. I’m curious too! Haha

Real Name
Chris
Here’s one I did a few days ago with a collision
BC14BA18-C3B7-4A3E-8211-BC477842CF44.jpeg

Thanks, Carl!

How long did it take you to get those?

Remember that this is the first time I've made a water drop photo. Once I set up the scene, the lighting and the water drop equipment, learned how to use it and got the proper exposure, the first photo was about my sixth or seventh capture. The second photo was 17 captures later.

Stunning work, Mike!
Like liquified glass somehow.
Your masterful use of light will serve you well in this new domain.

Looking forward for more of these.

Latest threads

Top Bottom