My Very Shy Senior

My very shy senior. Took about 35 and none had a smile. :frown: Hated this location...lots and lots of trees. I mean these trees had overlapping canopies. Not much light coming through those trees.

WILL4.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 238762

View attachment 238763

WILL.jpg

Real Name
Rodney
Wow, tough subject. Was Mom or Dad around? His face is really pale in number three, is that some color effect?

Wow, tough subject. Was Mom or Dad around? His face is really pale in number three, is that some color effect?

Mom was standing there watching him. Then he forgot his other shirt in the car and ran back (see the sweat?). I didn't want to continue because of the sweat so we waited and rest until his hair dried...then we combed and went back to take more images.

As most of you know I'm not a pro (by schooling)...but I have been taking images for quite some time. I have the critique symbol up...so feel free to edit my images or even just let me have it. We can never improve if we can't be brutually honest with each other right? I have a mentor and he let me have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest, I can't find anything wrong with them. They look great. Did the mom get all the shots you did or did she just pick one or two and if so which one's?

Real Name
Rodney
Seneca the background on most of them is fine, but the first one the white post is really distracting. Not sure what focal length you shot it at, but if you could have backed up some and shot with a longer focal length it would have been more out of focus. And preferably, move yourself to the right so it isn't behind his head.

Hmmm.....tough one. A difficult subject. For lighting...are you using a reflector for location shoots like these?

I'll be honest, I can't find anything wrong with them. They look great. Did the mom get all the shots you did or did she just pick one or two and if so which one's?

You're too kind Phil. My mentor asked "What is that in his pocket?" Totally missed it. But you know it's his cell phone and today kids carry cell phones so I wasn't too worried about it. His mom said he always carries his phone in his pocket.

For his senior party we had an 8 x 10 mounted and framed - (no glass) 2 1/2 matte for friends to sign.

I sell my stuff in packages...I don't like people to buy a la carte. Lastly she bought a hard cover book with all the images in the book.

Hmmm.....tough one. A difficult subject. For lighting...are you using a reflector for location shoots like these?

Extremely tough...probably my toughest subject - one where you ask yourself..."What am I doing wrong?"...Yes I had a very small reflector with me...should've brought a bigger one...but decided last minute to take smaller one. Live and learn - next time I will bring them all with me.

Seneca the background on most of them is fine, but the first one the white post is really distracting. Not sure what focal length you shot it at, but if you could have backed up some and shot with a longer focal length it would have been more out of focus. And preferably, move yourself to the right so it isn't behind his head.

Good advice Rodney. When I shoot I look around to see what might be a distraction...I saw that post...but thought it might be ok. When I looked at it on the screen...I knew it was a bad idea. Looks ok when you're seeing it on a 2 inch view.

Thanks...I truly appreicate your comments.

I don't think they are bad. The last two would've been better if he had different shoes as the ones he is wearing are way too distracting. But that isn't your fault so what can you do. I think you did a great job, its hard having a session when the subject isn't in the same element.

technically, the photos are really fine! Do you some sort of stand with the reflector? I have a reflector but no stand, so I never bring it!

I don't think they are bad. The last two would've been better if he had different shoes as the ones he is wearing are way too distracting. But that isn't your fault so what can you do. I think you did a great job, its hard having a session when the subject isn't in the same element.

I know why come to a shoot wearing tennis shoes. I have a sheet of things to bring for seniors and one of them was "Please no tennis shoes - this is YOUR SHOOT AND YOU WILL HAVE THESE IMAGES FOR YOUR LIFETIME". A lot of my past seniors brought Vans or Penny Loafers. His mother said "It wouldn't be him if he wore anything else"..ok fair enough. The other shirt was black.:frown:

Sounds like a nightmare... why I always had a book of poses. He just doesn't look at ease or natural in any of these which has nothing to do with you. Some people are just impossible and I feel your pain.

Is that an actual book ..? If so where do I get one.

technically, the photos are really fine! Do you some sort of stand with the reflector? I have a reflector but no stand, so I never bring it!

I usually have mom or dad hold my reflector. Thank you Linda...I wasn't pleased...but more so that he just was so shy and I would try and talk to him during the shoot, he didn't respond.

So I guess as photographers we are all going to have a share of a subject that is hard to please or just wake up to a shoot. This one was my first I'm sure I'll have more...I just need to prepare.

Extremely tough...probably my toughest subject - one where you ask yourself..."What am I doing wrong?"...Yes I had a very small reflector with me...should've brought a bigger one...but decided last minute to take smaller one. Live and learn - next time I will bring them all with me.

There's only so much you can do Seneca. Some people are just very tough to engage.........camera shy. My oldest daughter is a beauty like her little sister (in my un-biased opinion of course!:wink:), but she is very difficult to photograph. Some folks, myself included, will just never be comfortable in front of a camera.

The reason I asked about the reflector is that I think you should try to throw a bit more light in your subjects eyes next time.

A bit more sparkle might have helped to offset his gloomy demeanor........to an extent!

These kinds of shoots can be very difficult....especially when you are a perfectionist. I'm sure your next one will go better, but given the circumstances you didn't do too shabby this time around!

Do you have a garage? I find that to be one the best places possible for shooting male seniors. The industrial nature of the floor is fitting and look at the natural catchlights here....the handsome and engaging subject didn't hurt either......this was an easy shoot!
449919828_895eb08f50_o.jpg

Also, for shots like the first, I'd recommend getting in closer and using a shallower depth of field. You did just that in the second image posted, but you have a somewhat distracting highlight behind his head.
Here's an extreme example from that same shoot...I used an OOF blooming bush as BG....shot in my driveway:
450223466_78bab7a11f_o.jpg

And finally, for the bench shot....having him turn slightly sideways...maybe with one foot propped up on the bench and dropping one shoulder might have added some dynamics to the shot.

Keep it up Seneca. This was a tough shoot and you did a good job!

Latest threads

Top Bottom