My Viera Offering

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Sep 28, 2005.

1. I haven't posted any shots in a very long time so figured I'd break my silence and offer a few shots that I got Saturday with my Cafe friends.

Haven't ever seen a Yellow Crowned Night Heron before and so I was thrilled to see one lurking in a tree (not THE tree). He sat so nice and still and just let me shoot away. Here are a few of him.

[​IMG]

another view
    [​IMG]

The light was really nice
    [​IMG]

Tired of posing, he moved to another stump and started to go to sleep
    [​IMG]

And to top it off, here's what it looked like shortly after these were taken. This shot wasn't taken by me but by my friend, Junior, who came with me to Viera. He's a 19 yr old kid who has never even touched a camera. When I first started shooting, he asked if he could try. So I gave him a couple of quick tips and started practicing. I left him to go chat with Gale and Trish and he kept shooting, shooting, shooting. This is one of his results! I think I've created a monster as he had so much fun shooting that he has asked to go with me again and teach him how to shoot. (Probably won't take a lot of effort :rolleyes: )
    [​IMG]

2. nice shots Kevin, wish I coulda been there when you were. So wonder what this kid will want for Xmas? :cool:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Thanks, Harris. Yeah, I was kinda bummed that I couldn't return on Sunday. My wife had a open house and I had to watch the kiddies. :redface:

Maybe we could organize another get together with you and the Brevard people if it isn't too difficult for you to come up. The weather was so nice this weekend that I'm really getting excited about shooting in the Fall and enjoying the cooler weather.

5. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Nice Kevin...first time I have seen one close up. Tell Jr. he did a wonderful job! Just beautiful!

6. Thanks Trish! I'll be sure to let Jr know he "done good". :smile:

7. Great pictures. Can you tell me where/what Viera is?

8. Thanks Dave! Viera is a little community that is located in Brevard County, Florida. Specifically, when we refer to Viera, we're speaking of the wetlands that have been created by the nearby water treatment facility. It's basically a square area that has driveable berms around and through the wetlands. It provides an opportunity for the birds to roost, mate and offer plenty of photo ops for us photogs! :wink:

I've never seen a bad day there and I've been at least a dozen times. It's very easy to spend a day there from sunup to sundown, as I heard happened this past weekend with Frank et al. :smile:

9. Kevin, outstanding shots, I can't wait to get down there. Happy to hear they were shot with a 300mm and a TC1.4, that's the setup I am planning on bringing with me.

Your buddy's shot is awesome.

10. Kevin, would love to join. It's only about 1.25-1.5 hr drive for me. Not bad. Going to Napa/Sonoma next week, so maybe late Oct/early Nov?

11. Thanks Louis! You'll be fine with the 300 + 1.4x! I can't wait for you to come down. I've not shot there in over a month and now am anxious to go back. It certainly charges up the old batteries! :smile:

12. Cool. We'll have to figure out something when all of us can get together. Might have to leave Gale behind, though, as we don't want to end up in jail! :eek: (Just kidding, Gale, honey) :Angel:

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Kevin. Thats the only night heron that I have ever seen in the wetlands. He arrived around April and has been hanging around ever since.

14. Nice shots Kevin. I envy you guys that get to shoot night herons. There are not too many of them around Vancouver Island. Sigh.

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

You an Jr. hit a home run with these, well done!
    Never seen this bird before!

16. Thanks for the info; if I'm ever in Florida again (I went to Disney years ago :redface: ) I will pay it a visit.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,
    So glad you joined us this weekend. Still haven't seen that darn heron :>)) At least not where I could shot him He was there on sun in a spot you could not get a shot.

The sun behind the tree is GREAT....With the birds, perfect.

See ya soon.

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I've had a hard time staying awake when I get home at night or I would have responded sooner Kevin. I love your night heron shots, and Junior looks like a very quick study.

Glad we could get together Saturday, even if it was only a couple of hours. Can't wait to get back down there. :wink:

19. That's so funny, Harry. I've never seen him there before. He was in the trees in the area where the Least Bitterns are. I'm always there looking for the LB. Don't know how I saw this guy but glad I did.

Thanks for looking and commenting!