1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My view from my window tonight

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Omar, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

1. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    We have a significant population of Mennonites in the area where I live. Usually, I don't pay much attention but I was able to capture this photo tonight while watching the sunset. Not a lot of time to set up the framing. I was just trying to catch the horse and buggy at a certain spot on the street. Got lucky with the footwork.
    Oakcliffe Sunset D72_1210.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 6
  2. I do like the color too---or the lack of color. Well exposed and framed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    That is a great picture, well done.

4. Except for the street signs, it looks like a scene from 100 years ago. Well done!

5. I agree Jim. I'd remove them.

6. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Thank you. The colour struck me as well. Just what the D7200 did with the scene.

Thank you!

Thank you!

It seems so current for me. That's the reality I see all the time. But this is the first time I managed to get a photo of a buggy I liked that hasn't been done a thousand times.

I agree that the sign takes away from the image. I'm not at that stage in my photography to do that type of editing. Oh well, can't have everything. But I do agree the sign is a distraction.

7. Sure, removal of the sign is quick and easy, and makes the image appear as one from a long time ago---but, the for the full impact of the Mennonite buggy the sign needs to be there--it's the contrast between now and then that makes the picture. My 2 cents.

8. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    I have mixed feelings about the sign (sort of agree with Palouse) but I think there is a lot to be gained by moving the buggy off the margin and fixing the top of the silo.

upload_2019-3-17_15-9-23.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    This is an interesting discussion for me. One of my primary criteria for photography is that I like to capture interesting things that happen in my life. I add or subtract from a scene through positioning and framing but so far haven't been editing objects inside the frame.

That said, I'm happy to receive this discussion for what would be possible if I chose to change my approach. This has been instructive to me.

I'm attaching a wider view of the scene that was taken roughly 10 minutes earlier. I had one shot to get the buggy photo as I heard it coming down the road and realized the potential. If I have a regret, it's that I framed it too tight and didn't leave room for cropping later. Especially, I wasn't watching the farm at the top so unintentionally chopped off the silo.

I'm very fortunate to live on the edge of a town. In a few years, it's likely the field will be developed into housing. The wire and pole will be gone, but...
    Oakcliffe Sunset D72_1198.JPG

10. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    I have a different goal in mind when I shoot. I want the image to end up as I saw the scene in my mind's eye, strained through my emotions and, as much as possible, devoid of the imperfections that Mother Nature and reality present. I don't add things to make the scene better but I will take out things that spoil and add the clarity, saturation and sharpening that Nature neglected to provide.

original - early morning, overcast, hazy, dusty - shot from a moving train

upload_2019-3-17_20-47-57.png

final

upload_2019-3-17_20-49-9.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:58 PM
  11. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    That's a very interesting illustration of your approach. Thank you. I can certainly see what you mean and have no quarrel with that approach.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.