My view from my window tonight

We have a significant population of Mennonites in the area where I live. Usually, I don't pay much attention but I was able to capture this photo tonight while watching the sunset. Not a lot of time to set up the framing. I was just trying to catch the horse and buggy at a certain spot on the street. Got lucky with the footwork.
Oakcliffe Sunset D72_1210.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I do like the color too---or the lack of color. Well exposed and framed.

Thank you. The colour struck me as well. Just what the D7200 did with the scene.

That is a great picture, well done.

Thank you!

Very nice indeed

Thank you!

Except for the street signs, it looks like a scene from 100 years ago. Well done!

It seems so current for me. That's the reality I see all the time. But this is the first time I managed to get a photo of a buggy I liked that hasn't been done a thousand times.

I agree Jim. I'd remove them.

I agree that the sign takes away from the image. I'm not at that stage in my photography to do that type of editing. Oh well, can't have everything. But I do agree the sign is a distraction.

Sure, removal of the sign is quick and easy, and makes the image appear as one from a long time ago---but, the for the full impact of the Mennonite buggy the sign needs to be there--it's the contrast between now and then that makes the picture. My 2 cents.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I have mixed feelings about the sign (sort of agree with Palouse) but I think there is a lot to be gained by moving the buggy off the margin and fixing the top of the silo.

upload_2019-3-17_15-9-23.png

This is an interesting discussion for me. One of my primary criteria for photography is that I like to capture interesting things that happen in my life. I add or subtract from a scene through positioning and framing but so far haven't been editing objects inside the frame.

That said, I'm happy to receive this discussion for what would be possible if I chose to change my approach. This has been instructive to me.

I'm attaching a wider view of the scene that was taken roughly 10 minutes earlier. I had one shot to get the buggy photo as I heard it coming down the road and realized the potential. If I have a regret, it's that I framed it too tight and didn't leave room for cropping later. Especially, I wasn't watching the farm at the top so unintentionally chopped off the silo.

I'm very fortunate to live on the edge of a town. In a few years, it's likely the field will be developed into housing. The wire and pole will be gone, but...
Oakcliffe Sunset D72_1198.JPG

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I have a different goal in mind when I shoot. I want the image to end up as I saw the scene in my mind's eye, strained through my emotions and, as much as possible, devoid of the imperfections that Mother Nature and reality present. I don't add things to make the scene better but I will take out things that spoil and add the clarity, saturation and sharpening that Nature neglected to provide.

original - early morning, overcast, hazy, dusty - shot from a moving train

upload_2019-3-17_20-47-57.png

final

upload_2019-3-17_20-49-9.png

Last edited:
I have a different goal in mind when I shoot. I want the image to end up as I saw the scene in my mind's eye, strained through by my emotions and, as much as possible, devoid of scene devoid of the imperfections that Mother Nature and reality present. I don't add things to Mae the scene better but I will take out things that spoil and add the clarity, saturation and sharpening that Nature neglected to provide.

original - early morning, overcast, hazy, dusty - shot from a moving train

View attachment 1634300

final

View attachment 1634301
That's a very interesting illustration of your approach. Thank you. I can certainly see what you mean and have no quarrel with that approach.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Hey, you did a nice job with that photo considering no preparation time. I like it. Yes, it does look "better" with the stop sign removed (I like Lew's edit of the photo), but you still did well.

I also live amongst the Amish/Mennonite/Plain people and have a lot of opportunityfor photos but I almost never take photos of them. I guess for me they're just part of my normal everyday life and I don't think much of it.

Hey, you did a nice job with that photo considering no preparation time. I like it. Yes, it does look "better" with the stop sign removed (I like Lew's edit of the photo), but you still did well.

I also live amongst the Amish/Mennonite/Plain people and have a lot of opportunityfor photos but I almost never take photos of them. I guess for me they're just part of my normal everyday life and I don't think much of it.

Thank you. I don't think I have more than a couple horse and buggy photos in my files. I just don't care to get into position to get photos I'd actually like.

I keep looking and thinking about the whole stop sign issue. As a whole, I like Lew's revision better, but it's a different photo to me telling a different story. The water adds a connection between the horse and the barn in the background. Just a natural, pastoral scene. But, add the stop sign and there is a disconnect. Maybe symbolizing the interplay between rural and urban.

Or, maybe I'm just stretching things to justify leaving my initial stroke of luck as is.

• Agree
Reactions: McQ
I keep looking and thinking about the whole stop sign issue. As a whole, I like Lew's revision better, but it's a different photo to me telling a different story. The water adds a connection between the horse and the barn in the background. Just a natural, pastoral scene. But, add the stop sign and there is a disconnect. Maybe symbolizing the interplay between rural and urban.

I decided to take this thought and run with it. I re-cropped the photo to emphasize the urban/rural interplay. Left more of the sidewalk and fire hydrant in it, and took the barn completely out. I also was more careful to get as tight as possible to the pole that I had cropped out on the left side. I should have done that on the first composition as well.

Does this composition work? It's a different photo, but I wonder if it is stronger for the story I'm trying to tell about my view from my window.
Oakcliffe Sunset D72_1210_01.JPG

Real Name
Carl
You did well! That's why they are called "grab shots"!? Actually, both versions work, but I prefer the juxtaposition of old and contemporary, with the stop sign included...but that's just me. AND,The horse...all four feet off the ground! Jealous!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom