1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My weekend #2 (85 1.4 and 50 1.8 with pregnant friend)

Discussion in 'People' started by leahp26, Jul 22, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Continuation of my post on my busy weekend with the 85 1.4 and 40 1.8 stuffed in my purse!

Also at lunch with the twins was my other friend who's pregnant - the twin's Mom was saying how sad she was that she only has one snapshot of when she was pregnant and how although she didn't feel like it at the time, she wished she had taken more photos. So I took a few photos:

#1 Ugh - blew out the background

p460997264-4.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 I blew out her face - was struggling with the light from the window

p71892135-4.jpg

#3 More disastrous metering! Underexposed!! Added the brownish filter to try to make it a pensive shot

p510157057-4.jpg

#4 Friend and husband - messing around with PP

p35810730-4.jpg

Thanks for looking! I think I will stay away from windows as backgrounds for now. I think I should have sat in the window seat and shot her with the window light falling on her more evenly - any C&C/suggestions VERY welcome

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    My metering must be so bad that no one can even bear to look at these :frown:

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    These are good...just a little blown out...but I get the feel of these images. The first one is just beautiful. I remember being in that condition like it was just yesterday. I loved being pregnant.

You need a huge reflector (6 foot reflector) to bounce some of that light that is coming into the window on to her face. I recently bought one...cost me $99.00 on a stand.

Leah just a couple needed flash fill.

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thank you Seneca. I am clueless with my SB800s but have 2 full day classes coming up (one on basic studio lighting, the other on "lighting with strobes") and I'm hoping this will help me.

The reflector idea is something I totally didn't think of - I have a round "pop up" reflector, I tried it once but got really bad silver or gold glare on the faces. I will dig this out and try again and look into a larger version.

Thank you again :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.