My Weekend with the XT-1

Last weekend I rented a Fuji XT-1 w/ the new 10-24 zoom to give it a go. I'm evaluating this vs. the Oly M-1, having pretty much ruled out the Nikon 1 V3.

Now, I'm looking for a mirrorless to complement my D3s bodies (not replace)...I'll continue to use those for sport/action photography but am looking for this camera to be a great travel companion (having schlepped my D3s/24-70/70-200 to South Africa/London/Paris/Frankfurt on a trip, my shoulder still aches), street, events, family, carry around - the classic use cases. So while I don't expect the camera to be able to pick up a fast-moving auto/bike, person...it still needs to acquire fast kids, people on the street, especially if I need to stop, turn and quickly acquire focus, all while perhaps recomposing, etc.

So, here are my rough thoughts...and some images to boot. I have put the original files here - you'll see the original files for the images below, as well as two sequences of runners at the Boston Marathon. These are big .zip files (123MB for runner one, 93MB for runner two) so please only DL if you're really interested. I think in the first runner file, the camera only missed focus once if I recall.

I also put up a .zip file with two short movies...this too is about 78MB. I'll be the first to admit that a) my movie making skills are non-existent and b) I'm sure some fidelity was lost shooting at HD 60fps to Adobe Premiere 9 (which doesn't have a 60fps pre-set) and exporting...but I think they'll give you an idea. Apologies in the first one as was walking backwards sans any stabilizer whatsoever to try and get the Hoyts in the frame.

Happy to answer questions, or any suggestions for my next eval of the M-1 (renting next month).

Fujifilm XT-1 Thoughts

Pros:
  • AutoWB is pretty accurate (little on cool side)
  • Would like a cloudy setting
  • Weight is good
  • Kit size is great
  • Little pop-up flash did pretty well - will still buy a larger flash for whatever kit I end up with
  • Metering was pretty accurate
  • Image quality was very good (.jpg)

Cons:

• D pad is too small, would like the buttons a tad larger and pronounced. I really had problems w/ this, even after configuring all four buttons for 'frame'. Now, I realize this is only after using it for a weekend...I'm used to rapidly moving the focus point as I bring the body to my eye and/or moving the focus point as I change direction/change composition w/ my eye to viewfinder and w/ this one, couldn't do that.
  • Would like to be able to specify that the Menu will come up on the LCD, even if I have the viewfinder configured for EVF only
  • Would like to be able to specify that the 'Quick' Menu will come up on the LCD, even if I have the viewfinder configured for EVF only
  • Would like to have a single pt AF mode in CH; seems that it only allows 9 pt
  • Would like better explanation for the different focus 'box' sizes
  • Would like aperture markings on the lens; would like a hard stop
  • Would like the dial to control aperture all the time, not just on lenses w/out an aperture ring
  • Would like an option to modify aperture steps, e.g. full, 1/3
  • Would like a 'silent' mode like the Sony RX10; if recording video, the clicks as you change the aperture will get picked up
  • Would like an option for lossless compression for RAW files (note, I saw mine come out as 22-25MB; I thought I read in a review they were 32MB or so)
  • Would like the AF-L button reversed w/ the rear command dial
  • Would like the AF-L button to autofocus in the other two modes, not just M
  • Would like Exposure Comp available to a command dial (maybe it is, just missed it)

Note: The images below have some pp'ing in LR 5.4...DL the original files if you wish. Some .jpg, some .DNG

1. My daughter not happy w/ Dad...<smile>
2014-04-18%20Fuji%20Test-022.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2014-04-18%20Fuji%20Test-024.jpg

2014-04-18%20Fuji%20Test-033.jpg

4. Think I had OIS on for this, 1/15 no flash
2014-04-19%20Easter%20Eggs-016.jpg

5. Used macro mode, focus on 'Gino'
2014-04-19%20Easter%20Eggs-053.jpg

6. My daughter saying good-bye to her old car before it goes to Make-a-Wish...ƒf8 gets everything in focus
2014-04-19%20Volvo-006.jpg

2014-04-20%20Fuji%20Easter-011.jpg

8. This is not processed...fill flash w/ the little provided flash...I actually thought it did pretty well given the strong backlighting
2014-04-20%20Fuji%20Easter-031.jpg

9. The dreaded lens hood shadow
2014-04-20%20Fuji%20Easter-039.jpg

10. Do like the colors...shot Astia (.jpg) BTW
2014-04-21%20Boston%20Marathon-093.jpg

2014-04-21%20Boston%20Marathon-194.jpg

12. The tilt LCD was really handy here, no surprise
2014-04-21%20Boston%20Marathon-448.jpg

Chris, great write up. Thanks! Still on the fence here, ugh. Pic of your daughter is funny, she does not seem amused ;)

Its a brilliant camera. Fuji keeps on improving.

Most of your cons seem like "nice to haves" as opposed to outright cons. The one thing I will say is more of those would be fixable via firmware updates such as added functionality to the various buttons and dials.

Chris, great write up. Thanks! Still on the fence here, ugh. Pic of your daughter is funny, she does not seem amused ;)
Its a brilliant camera. Fuji keeps on improving.
:) She was happy in a later pic

Most of your cons seem like "nice to haves" as opposed to outright cons. The one thing I will say is more of those would be fixable via firmware updates such as added functionality to the various buttons and dials.
Well, as a personal choice, sure...many of them not for me. If the Oly has the same, then so be it, but if not, then that will certainly tip the balance towards the Oly.

I agree, many could be fixed w/ firmware, but the physical button feel and layout is pretty much a deal killer for me right now, until I try the Oly.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Loved the write up, Chris. I'm very interested in knowing what you think of the Oly system. Your shots are great, and definitely - your daughter was not pleased with you! :)

Thanks Lyndee...here's one soon after for proof (note, she has 'goggle tan' from her LAX goggles)

2014-04-18%20Fuji%20Test-023.jpg

Chris.......... Great information. Thank you!!

I have had my x-t1 for two days. I have used mostly nikon for 8 years.....so this will take some getting used two. Like most of my camera's the x-t1 is much more than I need . I still have my d700 & d 7000 and will keep them foe now.

One thing I have noticed ........ The shutter on the x-t1 seems slow. When you press the shutter button to take the picture........it just seems slow. I'm just getting into the user manual and have much to learn and may find the reason why. Anyone else find it slow?

More later........Pete

the AF is no where near DSLR speed Pete
I got rid of the X100s because it was no anemic

the Xt-1 is better, but not like my D700

Ive come to terms that I will miss some quick moments
in exchange for its perfect colors and much smaller size/ weight

Mood..........thanks

I know what you mean. It takes great pictures. At this early point I am not impressed with the EFV. There is a little stop motion with moving subjects and even some with the LCD monitor. I need to dig in and learn quick

there is for sure, but all reports say it's the best it's been :) Guess the early EVF pioneers put up w/ some bad screens.

There is some lag to be sure, but I didn't find it problematic, got used to it.

A number of XT-1 owners have commented about the lack of tactile feel on the D-pad. Apparently Fuji listened, as the latest cameras supposedly have more pronounced buttons, and a definite 'click' to them.

"There is something about the Fuji color rendition..."

That's why we are here!! There is nothing comparable and, IMO, justifies tolerance in other areas. Mood hits it on the head.

FWIW, I confirmed w/ the rental company that the version I had is the original version, w/ the 'inferior' direction pad.

I also don't like the (low) max shutter speed and flash sync speed...yes, you can slap a ND filter on it, but oftentimes I don't have the time to do that from shot to shot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom