My what big eyes you have!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Here is one last one from yesterday. We had little or no light and this was shot at ISO 800 on the D2X with Sigma 500 4.5 with Nikon 1.4tc.

Yes, that is snow on the ground. It was cold and dark. Next time I hope to find some sun.
    original.

2. You know, I don't understand why there is so much dirt on the 'net about ISO800 on the D2X, this looks very very good.

I forgot to tell you, that one of your Owl photos from previous is now my desktop image on my work PC, I hope you don't mind?

This image is great, the snow, dead weeds in the fore, the green and near-crimson in the background really make this image a keeper...

How much crop?

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Amazing eyes is right !!
    Great image.

4. Thanks Brett, I sure do not mind your putting it on your computer. I am quite flattered. I would say that I cropped this by about 60 to 70 percent. Yes, I continue to be amazed at the low noise at high ISO. The firmware must have helped although I do not ever remember shooting it this high before the firmware. Bill Dewey tested my camera when he was thinking of buying the D2x and he felt the camera handled high ISO well even then.

5. Thanks Ben.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent capture Jim. I'm so impressed by the D2X high ISO performance. I can't shoot above 400 with the D2H.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    James

Your making me really, really jealous :)

8. Hi I really like this image what aperture and shutter speed was it taken at, it reminds me I must get out and use my 500 sometime this year.

Phillip.

9. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Wonderful shot,you got excellent shot at ISO800.
    Good POV&SHARP SHOT.

10. Thanks Frank. I was very happy to see how low the noise was at these ISO's.

11. Jim, I expect that we will be seeing your owls posted soon. I really look forward to seeing them when you go out next. From a previous post, you made it sound like they were arriving already. I know the feeling, I am waiting the return of the eagles on our river. There are more arriving each day. I hope to get out in two weeks and have lots of opportunities. Happy owl hunting.

12. Phillip, I look forward to seeing your 500 shots. Here is the exif information for sthis shot. The only thing off is these were shot with the 500 and 1.4 tc. So the mm and F stop are both off. Add one stop for the tc.

Date/Time 03-Dec-2005 00:45:37
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 500 mm
    Exposure Time 1/400 sec
    Aperture f/4.5
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias -2/3
    White Balance
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)