1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique My wife broke another wine glass

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, May 10, 2019.

1. Though I went away for only four days, when I returned we had one less wine glass. To be more accurate, we had the same number of wine glasses. It's just that one of them was no longer good for drinking wine. :eek: 

Setup
    The tabletop and background are a single sheet of semi-glossy presentation board. There were two medium continuous-light lamps, one behind the background on the left and the other in front of the background on the right. A flag in front of the lamp on the left created the shadow in the lower left area. The grain and split toning were added during post-processing.

Mike 2019-05-10--005-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Grounds for divorce ?

I suspect it would look better in B/W

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I like it. Interesting lighting and composition. I also find the colors to be appealing.

Glenn

4. I do find I like the colors the longer I look at it. I was expecting a splash of red (wine or to signify anger) but the yellow/green/blue scheme is very powerful.

5. Such a lovely wife you have ... creating shooting subjects for you and fiercely guarding them four whole days till your return.

I initially felt a slight bit of imbalance in the transition from bright to dark and thought perhaps the right side could be a touch darker or the left a touch brighter.
    However, the more I look the more I think it is still cool as is.

6. Thank you to West, Glenn, Nick and Dayo!

The nuances and possibilities you guys mention are what make tabletop photography so appealing to me. That's because all of them you mentioned are valid; we can choose the look we want with no restrictions other than that we choose the look we like best at the time. I tried a variety of looks and this one put an extra kick in my step. (Yes, I realize that's not exactly the best thing to happen around broken glass. :eek: )

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. Definitely the latter of those two possibilities!

8. Very nice one Mike. The split toning gives the image a mysterious look.IMO it would make a good cover for a thriller.

9. Thanks, Binnur!

I hadn't thought of it that way. Now that you mention it, it makes sense. My reasoning for using the two-part lighting and split toning was to emphasize the two distinct and very different subjects.

10. A lot of work went into this and it shows. Very nice image!

11. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Hmmm.... Dark Port to light Rose?
    I thought there was a dimple in the bg paper lower right, but then realized it's just light refracted through the base of the cup.
    Nice shot. Thanks for sharing

12. Thank you to Bill and Rolf!

Also my experience before even releasing the shutter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.