My Wife @ the Ft Worth Japanese Gardens (Added 2 more)

Discussion in 'People' started by MikeyD40, May 10, 2007.

1. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    How could i have made this picture better?

Shot with my D40 kit lens at 1/125 - f/5.6. It was slightly overcast that day too.

DSC_3941.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  2. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Mike, I think less of the foreground and more of your beautiful wife would have made this better. I like the framing idea, but there's just too much of the flowers. Perhaps also stepping to your right a bit and using the bridge as "leading lines" to your subject.

Overcast is perfect lighting for this type of shot. If it had been bright and sunny then you've got all kinds of nasty shadows to deal with.

3. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Ya, i was kinda bent down all in the flowers. So basically, less flowers and more of Cat and bridge?

4. Overcast days are perfect for portraits... no harsh shadows or squinty eyes. I like the idea but there's too much flowers and not enough of the subject, your wife.

Using something in the foreground to frame the subject is okay but in this case it doesn't frame, it's just kind of a blurry mass that loses it's identity when you try to crop.

5. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Cool...I need to go back out there and try it again. I finally got the 55-200 lens, so i need to try that out too...Thanks for the CC...Hey Reggieanne, when are going back out there!?

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

would certainly like to see more of your beautiful wife...good luck with your next shoot and please share ....;-))

7. I agree with the above suggestions, and would add to try and fill her in the frame a bit more, and fill the background with the trees. While overcast conditions are good for outdoor portraits, the blown sky takes up to much space and is distracting.

8. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

Mikey

Beautiful location and model to work with there! I'd go for a close cropped alternative of this, with more DOF ( I agree, lighting is great, it gives you a soft light effect rather than harsh shadows you'd get with a typically bright sunny bluesky day ) If you think its to dull add a bit more saturation in photoshop.

You've got a lot of potential there to produce some amazing images, have fun and try some alternative shots. ( and lets see them ):wink:

Jase

9. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. I have a few more that we shot.

This first one, I noticed that her nose is "lit" up...I cant seem figure out what i did to do that...

DSC_3920.

This Second one, I just really liked alot...
    View attachment 94827