Critique My Wife's Orchid --3RD PHOTO ADDED

Setup
Photos of the setups are displayed lower in this post.

Focus Stacking
Photo #1: 11 focus-bracketed images at CamRanger step size Small stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings
Photo #2: 37 focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings
Photo #3: 15 focus-bracketed images at CamRanger step size Small stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings

Photo #1
Mike 2021-01-18--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2021-01-20--0003-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2021-01-24--0001-S.jpg

Setup for photos #1 and #2 except that the background in the first photo is as shown below and the background in the second photo is purple presentation paper. The black round object in the top left corner is the rear of the reflector of the only lamp.
Mike 2021-01-18--0016-S.jpg

Setup for Photo #3
-- The flashlight lit the background separately from everything else.
Mike 2021-01-24--0002-S.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to Randy, John, Jim and Terri!

The bulb in the upper right corner looks a tad blown out near the stem,

ACR didn't indicate that that area is blown. Even so, after seeing your comment, I tried toning it down just a small amount and liked it better. I didn't change the image displayed above but I did make that a permanent change to the image file on my computer. Thanks for mentioning it!

Lovely orchid images Mike. I really like the colors and composition in the second image. But is there something wrong with your selection ? Because I can see some dark pink frame-like thing around the two big flowers.

in the second image. But is there something wrong with your selection ? Because I can see some dark pink frame-like thing around the two big flowers.

Eagle-eye Binnur comes through yet again! I didn't see those but I see them now that you have mentioned them. There is no masking in that area, so that issue was surely caused by the focus-stacking process.

Real Name
Dan
Beautiful floral, Mike. I really like the composition on the second shot. Focus stacking makes such a difference on flowers. In most cases I much prefer it over conventional floral images.

Latest threads

Top Bottom