My wimberly is unstuck

Real Name
Randy
great gimbal head with 1 fatal flaw, as it gets older it sticks on tripods and is almost impossible to remove....

I have seen RRS' solution that uses a level clamp to mount/remove their gimbal head. Anybody use this or some other way to prevent the screw on screw off method ?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
My Wimberley was not panning smoothly. I called them up, then sent it in. They serviced it, replacing some parts with the current design, and it now functions like new. VERY friendly service!

Real Name
Randy
My Wimberley was not panning smoothly. I called them up, then sent it in. They serviced it, replacing some parts with the current design, and it now functions like new. VERY friendly service!
I got it loose using a hex wrench in the tiny hole on the base. After reading their help mine sounds normal but I may send it in.
The RRS alternative is over a grand

I got it loose using a hex wrench in the tiny hole on the base. After reading their help mine sounds normal but I may send it in.
The RRS alternative is over a grand
This happened to mine right before our last time in FL together. I did the same as you with the hex key (amazing the things you find in instructions if you take the time to read them, lol). No problems since.

Real Name
Randy
This happened to mine right before our last time in FL together. I did the same as you with the hex key (amazing the things you find in instructions if you take the time to read them, lol). No problems since.
and it's kind of a weird implementation. I expected the wrench to stop the head. It took a few minutes to get it, the key is push on the wrench and turn the wimberly both counter clockwise at the same time. The added leverage is down low by the mount and that does it. Kinda like a rubber band to free a stuck UV filter

I use Arca Swiss clamps on all of my tripods and monopods so I mount small lens-plates to the bottom of all Heads — including my Wimberley.
This makes the changing of heads, or the dis-assembly for travelling, much quicker and it also removes the issue of sticking screw-threads.

I have the RRS tripod (series 3) and gimbal. The gimbal is attached to the RRS leveling base and I keep my ball head on a flat platform. I just remove the platform from the tripod and swap between the two when needed. I never unscrew either the gimbal or ball head from their respected platform.

Can you swap the platform on your tripod?

I use Arca Swiss clamps on all of my tripods and monopods so I mount small lens-plates to the bottom of all Heads — including my Wimberley.
This makes the changing of heads, or the dis-assembly for travelling, much quicker and it also removes the issue of sticking screw-threads.
Interesting idea, I had not thought of that. Could you please post of a picture of this? Do you have any issues with stability having the extra bits attached?

For the last bunch of years I have been using the TQR1 Tripod Mount Quick Release System. Troy Lim wrote a review on this product and was involved in some early testing and such, more info in This Thread. As far as I can tell this product is no longer available, at least I can't find it anywhere.

What I really like about this, as well as the solution Ann mentioned, is that I can quickly take my Gimbal head off the tripod to make it easier to transport.

It is very firm and secure and doesn't detract from stability at all.

I changed to Arca-on-everything (cameras, 'pods, step-motor tracks etc.) when I got the Wimberly.
It was quite expensive to buy all the necessary clamps and plates but it just makes everything universally interchangeable. I have some small 2" diameter Plates and Clamps which are perfect for 'pod heads and gimbals.

I had used Manfrotto clamps and plates (rectangular NOT their disastrous octagonal horrors!) for years; but the Arca system is so superior that once I needed L-brackets and Arca lens plates for my Wimberly, I took the global leap and installed Arca on everything.

P

photogramps

I find wearing a rubber glove on my hand gives me the purchase to release my Wimberley from the tripod head, gives just the right grip to shift it.

It is very firm and secure and doesn't detract from stability at all.

I changed to Arca-on-everything (cameras, 'pods, step-motor tracks etc.) when I got the Wimberly.
It was quite expensive to buy all the necessary clamps and plates but it just makes everything universally interchangeable. I have some small 2" diameter Plates and Clamps which are perfect for 'pod heads and gimbals.

I had used Manfrotto clamps and plates (rectangular NOT their disastrous octagonal horrors!) for years; but the Arca system is so superior that once I needed L-brackets and Arca lens plates for my Wimberly, I took the global leap and installed Arca on everything.
So effectively you use Arca-Swiss clamps and plates in the same way the TQR works. Clamp on the tripod, short plate on the bottom of the head, correct? Not sure that is much more expensive that what the TQR1 cost was :eek: None of this stuff is cheap is it?

Thanks,

Real Name
Randy
I have the RRS tripod (series 3) and gimbal. The gimbal is attached to the RRS leveling base and I keep my ball head on a flat platform. I just remove the platform from the tripod and swap between the two when needed. I never unscrew either the gimbal or ball head from their respected platform.

Can you swap the platform on your tripod?
yes, I got the wimberly off. I have a Gitzo tripod

So effectively you use Arca-Swiss clamps and plates in the same way the TQR works. Clamp on the tripod, short plate on the bottom of the head, correct?
Exactly.
You just need to buy clamps which work with the top fitting on your tripod.
Some 'pods top-out with a threaded hole while others have a protruding threaded screw either 1/4" or 3/8".
If you have the option to insert locking screws, use them too.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Same set up I used in 2015 in South Africa. Much easier than spinning the gimbal on and off a tripod or monopod . Works really well.

It's not an upgrade: just the need to buy small Arca lens-plates to attach to your Wimberly and Ball-heads;
and Arca-Swiss style Clamps for your tripods.
For safety reasons, I use the screw-tightened Clamps instead of the faster Lever Clamps.
I would be more confident if the lever-lock clamps included an additional safety lock button.

SunwayFoto clamps are half the price of those from RRS and they are well-machined and have worked extremely well and reliably for me.
HejnarPhoto is another manufacturer of high-quality plates and clamps.

Last edited:
Ann, for lever release I like the ones from Acratech. They have a positive locking mechanism and unlike the ones from RRS they work with all different Arca Swiss plates, including those from Hejnar. As a plug to Hejnar, great quality and great prices. I use the Acratech lever releases on my Black Rapid straps, they are so much faster when I want to remove a camera for quicker shooting.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom