1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review My Yashica Y35 Review

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by gryphon1911, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I would really like to support the concept.
    But I simply cannot bring myself to do so.
    Instead I keep on buying 2d hand film and digital cameras.

2. In my opinion, it is more about the process of making pictures than the technical aspects of it. It also does not hurt if you are a "hipster" or "into lo-fi" photography aesthetics (if we want to put some kind of label on it).

As @Panther@Panther can probably attest, there is just something satisfying about the whole process of using the camera. I'm not in a position to be able to afford that new Leica that doesn't have a rear LCD, but if something similar comes out in the sub $2000 range with a viewfinder and an affordable mount, I'm in serious consideration on it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. I can respect that. I still have some film cameras and love using the Yashica 5000 I have (rarely do anymore) and the Mamiya C33 medium format...but I've either grown lazy or to used to the speed and efficiency of the digital workflow. probably both. lol

4. gryphon, not trying to hi-jack your thread here...Just posting some Y35 fun stuff! :) 

Y35_0001a.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. By all means, post away!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. "In My Fancy" film....(+1 Exposure Comp)

Y35_0007 8.22.37 PM.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wow, really like that shot.

My other digiFilm are on the body and on the way. I'm hoping some time end of next week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Outstanding!
    It appears to me that the Y35 is very sensitive when it comes to exposure comp.....

What's your take on this?

9. I noticed that too. I've not had to use the exposure comp much, but I've not had to use much more than +-1

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. I went out with the Color200 loaded today. Got a few I liked. forgot to bring extra batteries! lol
    So, only got a few before I had to switch back over to the Nikon Z6 #firstworldproblems

Played with this first one in Nik Silver Efex. Others are SOOC.
    01-27-2018_Y35_franklinton_Y35_0004-Edit.jpg
    01-30-2018_Y35_franklinton_Y35_0009.jpg
    01-30-2018_Y35_franklinton_Y35_0010.jpg
    01-30-2018_Y35_franklinton_Y35_0011.jpg

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Color 1600 here...

Y35_0045 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Color1600 is one of my favorites right now. I just got the other 2 digiFilm today, so hopefully will get out and be able to use them in the next few days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I find the Fancy a bit tricky.....LoL you'll see

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I find the 6x6 a little tricky. It's very peculiar on the light it likes to make a good image. It looked to blow out highlights. So I get what you mean. They all seem to have their own character, not only in the look, but on house they process a scene. Color1600 and B&W seen to be very difficult.

Color 200 is not bad. Interested to see how blue and in my fancy work. Supposed to have a few days of sun before the rain hours the end of the week.

15. Played about a bit with the Blue and In My Fancy

Blue:
    02-11-2018_Y35_testing_Y35_0005.jpg

In My Fancy:
    02-11-2018_Y35_testing_Y35_0014.jpg
    02-11-2018_Y35_testing_Y35_0019.jpg

I like the visual styling of the In My Fancy better at this point. Still need to experiment in better lighting conditions.

16. Definitely!
    It's a bugga' with lighting though...(IMHO)....

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm finding that. Send info, at least, it meters the highlights fine, but goes a little dark on the shadow areas.

18. When I finish this roll of 6x6, I'll put a roll of Fancy in :ROFLMAO: 

Seriously, from what I remember of shooting with it, I went from overexposed to underexposed in a blink - very tough to find that proper exposure level.

19. I guess that will be half the fun, trying to f figure it out.

I'm hoping some day that Yashica puts it a programmable digiFilm unit that you connect to vis USB to a PC and then have a software interface program that you can build a custom film simulation. I think that would be a great addition

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.