My Z Plan

Real Name
Andrew
So, I’ve been using my Z6 for more walk around stuff. I usually reserve my Nikon gear for work, but the Z cameras and lenses have been calling me more and more.

I think it is the melding of the mirrorless with the Nikon sensor and processing that just gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

All the stuff I love in a Nikon DSLR and Olympus mirrorless.

Anyway, I digress.

I love the Nikon Z 24-70/4. It is sharp, fast and compact. The rendering is there, contrast and color , just awesome.
I like shooting the Nikon 70-300 AFP adapted on the Z6 as well.

I’ve realized though that a one lens walk around looks be ideal for me. The Z 24-200 seems to be the perfect choice right now. From the reviews I’ve seen and the reports from some people I know that have actually gotten their 24-200 have convinced me to get on the list for that lens whenever it is next available.

basically, the center and near center are identical in sharpness and rendering against the 24-70/4. The only place it struggles, and minutely at that, is the far edges and corners. I’m not one that cares about that.

I’ve realized that if I need low light capturing, I’m going to use a prime.

to that end, I’ve ordered a refurbished Nikon Z 50/1.8S. I’ve seen too much good stuff coming from that lens here and other places to not get it.

I will then have the Z outfitted with the 24-200, supported by the 35/1.8 and the 50/1.8 native lenses.

i have an f-mount 85/1.8, but realized that I use that infrequently and if I need that range I can get the 70-200/2.8 out. So that lens will probably be up for sale soon. Not sure if the Z 85mm makes sense, probably not at this point.

I can see me now gravitating more and more to the Z system.
The lenses are just that good, and the cameras are better than good enough for the event and portrait work I would use for.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on how much reach you want/need.
The 24-105 might be enough, and it might be lighter.
might be, but I value reach. I’m more of a telephoto kinda shooter. I like having wide for street and travel, those one off wide shots. My eye sure wants to punch in for that detail.

Last edited:
might be, but I value reach. I’m more of a telephoto kinda shooter. I like having wide fire street and travel, those one if wide shots. My eye share wants to punch in for that detail.
Then I think you are good.

In a GP travel kit, I prefer a 35/1.8 to partner with the GP zoom.
My reason for the 35 vs 50 (FX) is, I figure if I need the fast prime, I would likely be indoors where I would be cramped for space. In THAT situation, the wider 35 made more sense than the longer 50.
But if you are going outside at night or dim light, then a 50/1.8 would make sense.

Real Name
Paul
Sounds like a good plan Andrew. Having never owned a Nikon DSLR, the mirrorless Z is my Nikon reference and I’m very happy with it. I consider it my new landscape and general system. The 14-35 and 24-70 lenses on the Z7 are superb - absolutely top class.

I’m not completely sure yet what the final lens complement looks like, but that 24-200 is definitely on my list too - 70mm is often enough for landscape, but there are many scenes where more reach is needed. The 12-100 on Olympus has proved itself much more useful for landscape than I imagined when I got it. The question is whether I keep the 24-70. I probably will given what it seems to go for on the used market.

Beyond that I’m not sure. I definitely won’t be buying any big and heavy long lenses. Been there and done that with Canon DSLRs. I’ll stick with m43 for reach.

As for primes, I guess at some point I’ll get the 35/1.8, but I don’t do a lot of low light or shallow DOF stuff so I’m in no hurry. I’ve never found 50mm to be my thing.

Real Name
Andrew
Then I think you are good.

In a GP travel kit, I prefer a 35/1.8 to partner with the GP zoom.
My reason for the 35 vs 50 (FX) is, I figure if I need the fast prime, I would likely be indoors where I would be cramped for space. In THAT situation, the wider 35 made more sense than the longer 50.
But if you are going outside at night or dim light, then a 50/1.8 would make sense.
fortunately, I’ve already got the Z35/1.8. Love that lens. Love that field of view. I also like the 50 though, and for the price they are going for used and refurbished, I figure now is a good time.

you know, I’ve got tax return money burning a hole in my pocket and an economy to support. Lol.

seriously though, I do have plenty of situations where I’m shooting in lower light and the primes are my favorite to shoot there. I finally figured that out shooting my Fuji XF primes. I think the better focus accuracy on mirrorless and higher sharpness gives me more confidence when shooting at f/1.8 our f/2

Last edited:
If the 24-105 has a constant f/4 maximum aperture as rumored, it probably won't be lighter.
And I might be wrong.

105/4 = 26mm

200/6.3 = 32mm

i.e. the 24-200 needs a larger glass element.

Other factors will be more important in determining weight, e.g. the number of elements.

Real Name
Andrew
Got my notification today that the Z 50/1.8 should be at my doorstep tomorrow!

now i just need for the 24-200 to get back in stock somewhere!!

Last edited:
Real Name
Maurie Hill
I’m on a mission to get a compact fast (ish) AF prime for use on my Z7 as a subtle little walkabout. I’ve settled on 40-45mm and have given up waiting for Grandma Nikkor to get her pancakes made. So... I’ve just tried the Samyang 45/1.8 and apart from the piece I had delivered being faulty - intermittent bad AF and MF didn’t work at all - I was very disappointed with build quality; now I have my eye on the Sigma 45/2.8 which has great press. Of course covid has meant delivery times are causing great frustration. The search goes on ...

Real Name
Andrew
Just did a portrait shoot this weekend with the Nikon primes of Z35/1.8, Z50/1.8 and the F 85/1.8

They did a fantastic job and the eye AF was spot on every time! Made the work so much easier.
The only complaint was from the client stating that she didn't know when I was taking pictures because the camera was so quiet. lol

So I had to be a little more verbose during the shoot than usual.

Last edited:
I’m on a mission to get a compact fast (ish) AF prime for use on my Z7 as a subtle little walkabout. I’ve settled on 40-45mm and have given up waiting for Grandma Nikkor to get her pancakes made. So... I’ve just tried the Samyang 45/1.8 and apart from the piece I had delivered being faulty - intermittent bad AF and MF didn’t work at all - I was very disappointed with build quality; now I have my eye on the Sigma 45/2.8 which has great press. Of course covid has meant delivery times are causing great frustration. The search goes on ...
I tried Z6+24-70/4 and also the 50/1.8 for a little while but I sold it after few months. There just weren't any native telephoto options at the time when I sold it in Spring of 2019. I am waiting a little longer until there are enough affordable native lenses. I didn't want to adapt with FTZ and in my initial impressions the Z6 wasn't quite ready for sports / action. Also by the time more native lenses are available there will also be newer and better bodies - perhaps like the upcoming Z6s capable of sports.

I think the OP has a good plan. I sold my 24-70 and 70-200 f/4 lenses and recently got the 24-200, which I compliment with f/1.8 primes.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom