1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My Z7 experiment.

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by SRHEdD, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM.

1. C7F2E087-7A21-4C41-91A6-EE8E5C204A0E.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AED54B26-844A-4F57-92A3-23FC829514D7.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bought the 70-300AF-P to try with the Z7 over the 28-300G I already owned. Lacrosse tournament today in light shade/broken sun. Lens focuses fast, but didn't see much difference in speed over 28-300. I think I like the handling of the 28-300 better, being a bit heavier and bigger around. Still not getting the percentage of keepers with the Z7 as I did with D850 or my Sonys, and therefore still on the fence about the Z7. This was shot in AF-S and standard center focus.
    Nikon Z7 with FTZ/70-300AF-P at 300mm. ISO3200, Shutter Priority, Center-weighted metering. 1/2000@f/7.1
    Cropped to square.

This ought to stoke the fires... I shot two cameras today, trying to make a final decision on which I prefer for sports. With two boys in high school, I have a few years of shooting ahead (happily). The first photo in this thread was with the Nikon Z7 as noted, but the first game I shot with my Sony A9. The second photo is from a sequence and each was sharp. Different lighting as it was earlier in the morning and the sun was just up. The settings are amazingly similar, so I thought I'd add it to this thread. I dropped far fewer photos from the Sony folder for focus issues.

Sony A9 with 70-300G @ 300mm. Shutter Priority, Center-weighted metering. ISO3200, 1/2000@f/8. Again, AF-S with normal center focus bracket. High-speed drive at 20fps, with no blackout.

After shooting a game each with the different cameras, IMHO, the Sony is far faster, more accurate (it doesn't lock AF in bursts at 20fps) and with no finder blackout, truly an exceptional shooting experience. I even like the color (but that is very subjective). Remember, this is only 24mp, not even the 42 of the A7Riii or 45 of the Z7.

I'm not a Sony troll or fanboy. I've been shooting Nikon since the F2A, and been a NPS member for years. But I also own an A7Riii and thought to be fair I should try the A9. The A9 is a easily superior mirrorless experience for me. The kicker? I bought it as an open-box at Best Buy for $2699. You owe it to yourself to put one in your hands at your local pro shop. I never expected it to be this much of a game-changer for me.”

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. You've gotta use the right tool for the job, and if you're shooting sports and want to use mirrorless, the A9 is the way to go.

How do you enjoy sifting through all of those images captured in a burst when shooting @ 20fps? 10fps on the D500 can be excessive/annoying at times, so I can't even imagine having double the number of images due to 20fps.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am not surprised as the Z bodies are first generation. I am not sure if mirrorless will ever be able to replace the DSLR for action work, but each generation gets better and better, and I suspect that will be the same for the Z series. The question is if Nikon can either catch or surpass the AF capabilities of Sony in the mirrorless world.

--Ken

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    Curious as to why you'd shoot action in AF-S and not AF-C?

5. Later in the day, I did dial it down to the 10fps for that very reason.

I’ve always used AF-S and had great success learning to anticipate and pick the shot or burst I wanted. BUT, the cameras are now fast enough for me to give AF-C a try again. Never liked it, never trusted it. Probably a leftover from learning on an M3DS and a Speed Graphic... I prefer to tell the camera what I want. But I’ll actually be trying AF-C out today during round two of his tournament.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.