My Z7 impressions

As long as you steer clear of fast action I think the Z7 is a very capable (and cool) camera, especially for someone like me that's only shot clunky DSLR's. The Z7+24-70S (sweet little lens that) is half the size and weight of my D850 and 24-70E (lens now sold). I'm trying my hand at landscapes and maybe a little macro for the first time (lots to learn!) and it's a treat carrying around the Z7 and a lightweight travel tripod. And using live view is great -- push the AF-ON button to set the initial focus point then fine-tune w/manual focus with focus peaking turned on...confirmed DOF and focus for idiots...like me! :)

it would help a lot if Nikon would declare that they will be able to provide firmware updates so that we can get things fixed and enhancements to the product

Nikon CAN provide firmware updates. What we await is a decision to provide an actual update that addresses specific known issues.

If they don't firmly get behind the Z system who is going to want to keep one let alone buy a new one. Nikon needs to decide what side of the street they want to play on. Sitting in the middle will get you run over.

So I went to Samy's Camera here in LA this morning, and the sales people are even bagging Sony as having an undersized mount! Not sure if it's just hyperbole, but it's interesting how fast the tables are turning! The camera shops want to sell their new toys for the holiday season! :LOL:

So I went to Samy's Camera here in LA this morning, and the sales people are even bagging Sony as having an undersized mount! Not sure if it's just hyperbole, but it's interesting how fast the tables are turning! The camera shops want to sell their new toys for the holiday season! :LOL:

So presumably the profit margin on the Nikon Z7 is higher? :whistle:

The Z 7 looks like a wonderful camera, I got to hold one a few weeks back it was nice and the viewfinder bright. I am still lusting over the currently unavailable in Canada 500PF.

Why do people need fast fast autofocus to capture action??? Eisenstaedt used a 4x5 to capture this shot.

Famed Life photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"yes but he used a Speed Graphic camera" - Georgie Beagle

I was able to compare my A7III next to the Z7 last night at a bar! There were some odd things in ergonomics that I had to adjust to. The first thing is that Nikon opted to follow Sony's right sided button orientation, versus the two sided button orientation on Nikon DSLRs. I totally forgot about this from the last time I handled the camera. It somewhat threw me off, but it was a quick adjustment after I figured it out, though it may cause some muscle memory confusion especially if you're using a Z camera in conjunction with a DSLR. Also I found the Z directional pad to not be very tactile versus the the A7/R III dial/directional pad which protrudes from the body. This definitely is something they need to fix in a future iteration, because it feels so flat against the camera. If you like that chunky D-pad on a Nikon DSLR, you'll be disappointed with the Z D-pad.

The main issue with the Z camera is the AF. It's not bad, but it lacks the precision you get with Sony bodies. I seriously hope Nikon software engineers are cranking away on a firmware update. This is one area where Sony nailed it with their 3rd gen bodies. Also I tested the Z7+35/1.8S vs the A7III adapted with the 35/1.4 Art, and the Sony was locking onto eyeballs all night long. In order for the Z body to focus in the same dim lighting, you have to switch to the large wide area focus, but then there's no indicator as to which AF point is being used. In a future FW update, Nikon should allow the user to display AF activation so you can see which point is being selected for focus within the box. That way when using wide are AF in dim light, you can at least gauge where focus will be.

If you were to pick a mirrorless camera today, I think Sony wins the current mirrorless battle, but honestly the Nikon Z feels like it has quite a bit of potential especially once they crank out more lenses and release their 2nd generation bodies.

Thanks so much Jonathan for all your info regarding this. Day before yesterday I bought the Sony A7R iii, I am so happy I did. Also picked up the 55mm 1.8 and the 24-105mm F4. Today the Commlite arrived in the mail and I just tested it with my glued to the camera lens, 85 1.4G Nikon in the darkish basement.....unbelievable!!!!!! I have never been able to focus on the eyeball like that with every shot, at f1.4, I do still need test with my other lenses (all my favourites say compatible).

I totally agree with the Nikon potential, so I won't be selling my Nikon lenses, at least for now, and then I will have the flexiblity to change back to Nikon later if I should choose to. I do still have my Df, but pretty sure I should sell it now that I have tried this.

Thanks so much Jonathan for all your info regarding this. Day before yesterday I bought the Sony A7R iii, I am so happy I did. Also picked up the 55mm 1.8 and the 24-105mm F4. Today the Commlite arrived in the mail and I just tested it with my glued to the camera lens, 85 1.4G Nikon in the darkish basement.....unbelievable!!!!!! I have never been able to focus on the eyeball like that with every shot, at f1.4, I do still need test with my other lenses (all my favourites say compatible).

I totally agree with the Nikon potential, so I won't be selling my Nikon lenses, at least for now, and then I will have the flexiblity to change back to Nikon later if I should choose to. I do still have my Df, but pretty sure I should sell it now that I have tried this.

Hi Maureen, for now the Sony cameras are better this generation especially for portrait work due to faster focus precision and Eye-AF, but as Nikon starts to shift more to the Z cameras things may change in the next year or two.

Though after handling the Z7, I feel it may have longer-term potential. The ergonomics, the larger mount, the built-in IBIS and XQD/CF Express slot from the get-go just seems to exude a stronger foundation.

Jonathan, I think you are correct. It will be second generation before it is truly a competitor. I just have all glass I need now and want to use it. Also triggers and the nikon flashes and the switch became too expensive. I’ll wait one more generation and if it fails I will switch wholesale.

You want auto focus to work to catch the kids smile or surprised look. The fact is the z7 works but it is not the equal of the 850 or d5 and that cost it should have been better

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think responsiveness is term that should be used with the Z7 that people are not using. We want the camera to respond immediately when we press the shutter release, and we want it to track moving objects as well as our DSLRs. The Z7 has outstanding image quality. We want it to be as responsive as our DSLRs.

I will say in good light it is responsive but in roomlight or less it is not responsive it just plain hunts. Sometimes it finds the knee as the head even

What lens(es) were you using in room light or less, John?
I tested it with native lens the 35 f1.8 and the 24-70 both native and my 2.8 vr and the 70-200 2.8 vr

Focus was not as good as the d850 or the d5 the output when it nailed focus was great.

I think responsiveness is term that should be used with the Z7 that people are not using. We want the camera to respond immediately when we press the shutter release, and we want it to track moving objects as well as our DSLRs. The Z7 has outstanding image quality. We want it to be as responsive as our DSLRs.

Heartily agree with that. Unfortunately no matter how much tweaking Nikon does with the firmware (yet to be seen) the Z7/Z6 will never be able to match the AF capability of the D5/D850D/D500...that's at least a generation away yet. That being said the Z7 is a sweet little camera and joy to use...sad to say my clunky D850 is going to collect a lot of dust over the winter sitting on the shelf waiting for the birds to return next season. What is clear to me is that mirrorless is next evolution in photography. It's surprising that Canikon took so long to recognize that and start responding. I predict that at most we're going to see one more pro-DSLR release from Canikon, and after that the DSLR market will fall off a cliff. Really.

Real Name
Chris
I am surprised to hear the AF hunting issues people are having at room lighting. I have not experienced this issue.

Canon has been producing APS-C MILC since 2012!
And they are doing well: link.
Only Nikon took so long to understand the importance of ML. And they started not the best way, IMHO, probably pressed by EOS R.

Well there was Nikon 1 system but your point is valid -- I meant Mirrorless FX "a la Sony"...i.e. something capable capable of replacing DSLR's.

I'm not even comparing AF of the new Z cameras to current DSLRs. You can buy an old D3 for cheap nowadays that will run circles around many mirrorless cameras. Though I think Sony got things right with their 3rd gen mirrorless FF bodies and that's what I'm comparing the Z cameras AF performance towards and also which I consider to be the direct competitor (as well as the Canon R). The Z auto focus is somewhere in-between the 2nd gen, but not quite at 3rd gen Sony AF precision or speed.

Price-wise I can see where issues may lie, but the Z does offer other aspects such as silent shutter and IBIS which in some regards can defer expenses like needing a blimp for silent operation (useful for stage, theater, courtroom, etc.) or opting to use non-stabilized cheaper lenses, due to the Z having stabilization built-in.

The Z cameras aren't yet the Nikon DSLR replacement, but at least Nikon now offers a compelling alternative for those who want to go that direction. Also in comparison to all other mirrorless first time entries, it's actually the best release I've seen so far. Neither M43, Sony, Fuji and every other mirrorless player got it right the first time! ;)

Real Name
Steve
My Z7 experiment is over. I had an A7Riii all along, and a D850. Sold the D850 for the Z7. I'm missing probably 1/3 more shots in every category. I'm just not ready to take the kind of step back. With the 24-70S or adapted Nikon lenses, it just isn't there compared to my Sony... or the D850. I got some great static shots, even in low light, but as soon as the subject moves, I wish I had brought a different camera. Everything points to a Z8 or Z9 being THE statement Nikon mirrorless, second-gen with the missing features we're all posting about. I think I'll wait it out with another D850.

My Z7 experiment is over. I had an A7Riii all along, and a D850. Sold the D850 for the Z7. I'm missing probably 1/3 more shots in every category. I'm just not ready to take the kind of step back. With the 24-70S or adapted Nikon lenses, it just isn't there compared to my Sony... or the D850. I got some great static shots, even in low light, but as soon as the subject moves, I wish I had brought a different camera. Everything points to a Z8 or Z9 being THE statement Nikon mirrorless, second-gen with the missing features we're all posting about. I think I'll wait it out with another D850.

Came to a similar conclusion and decided to keep the A7III as my main MILC. I'll pass on my Z6 pre-order.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom