Mystery Dog Identification

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Rich Gibson, Jun 16, 2007.

1. This animal was seen at a pet supplies exposition in downtown Toronto last week. Yes, it is in fact a dog! Perhaps one of you who own one may be able to identify it, but let the folks guess a while.

[​IMG]

Rich

2. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Sure it's not just a teddy bear with batteries? Very cute. Nice shot in tough light.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ohhh man....what a cutie patootie...I love it...what is it...tell me tell me.

4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't own one, but I do have a guess. :)

5. This is sooooo cute. Haven't seen one before.

6. adorable! I want one!!

7. looks like a pomeranian, with a hair cut? yes......no

cute little guy

laurie

8. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    Looks like a cute one, whatever it is. :)

9. Bingo Give the lady a kewpie doll.

Rich

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super cute
    Looks like a panda

11. pom's have very thick and dense fur/hair. if clipped right thats what they look like a little bear like dog. i haven't seen a kewpie doll for a very long time thanks.

laurie

12. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Wow, I've never seen a dog get clipped to look like that! I would have suggest some bizarre rare breed from the far east or something....never would have guessed a Pom.

13. Give the owner a kick in the pants, clipping down her/his dog like that.:eek: Sorry, as a professional in the grooming business I just hate seeing that done to purebred dogs. Perhaps this one is not so purebred. A big thumbs down on designer $$$$dogs. A mixed breed is a mixed breed is a mutt. They should not command such high prices, even over and above a carefully bred purebred puppy.

Sorry, done venting:8Ball:

14. What is your opinion of the "unique" trimming of poodles; the ones with the little puffballs of fur over their bodies as well as other non-natural "grooming" of some breeds with bows and artifically altered coats for appearance at shows? Isn't that the same as trimming this pomeranian?

Wouldn't a line which has been inentionally altered to produce a dog with characterisitcs that do not occur naturally solely for winning conformance shows the same genetic manipulation as breeding labradoodles?

Thanks, Rich

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    JMHO I think it is much cuter with the New "hair-do"

lol

16. Actually, I do not care for the American "show clip" for poodles, but it has a basis to protect the dog. Poodles are a hunting dog originally. I like a puppy clip or what is called a lamb clip. I don't personally care for a clip to the skin all over clip:rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with bandanas and bows. I love to "dress up dogs". Probably never played with dolls enough. But clipping a dog like a pomeranian, or golden, or german shepherd dog, all of which are examples of dogs with "natural coats" that only need brushing. NO.

Pure bred dogs were all bred for a purpose. IE, hunting dogs, hounds, herding dogs, working, terriers and even toys all have an original purpose. Many of these dogs still work at what they were bred for. It took many years of carefull breeding to come up with a dog that fit the standard. Long ago, many people were too poor to have "pets". Dogs helped the family on the farm, or hunted to help bring food to the table. Some dogs were bred to guard sheep and other stock. Some were bred to herd stock. There is a difference. Purebred dogs, bred for some purpose to help people, are still doing their work today. Why do breeders keep their dogs purebred? So they know what is coming in the litter - baby copies of the parents. None of these dogs were bred "for" conformation shows; the shows are to show off stock, let breeders see what lines they may want to use in their own breeding program. My dogs not only are conformation dogs, they herd sheep, do tracking, and agility (a fun fun sport), plus obedience.

I have nothing against mixed breeds. Many of them are wonderful pets and adorable. But I wonder about people that would pay $1200 to $2000 or more for a labradoodle. It is a mutt. It will not produce itself. Puppies in the litter may not resemble each other. This is not careful breeding, but breeding just to make money off the dogs, which were probably never certified for good health or genetic problems.

Whoa, we got off topic:666:

HTH, Birgit

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think this whole show dog this is a bunch of )()*^%**&)_)(

Training is far more important. For many services