Mystery Photos found in wrecked camera on trail

On a hike today on the Lost Lake trail near Eldora, Colorado I stumbled across a smashed and rusted point and shoot digital camera. I used it as a prop in a couple of photos of the waterfall on the trail and then I thought. Hey, I wonder if it has a memory card in it.

It was pretty beat up but I managed to get the sliding door on the bottom of the camera open to find a 128MB SD card. The contacts looked kind of dirty so I popped it in my pocket to take home and clean up.

The camera turned out to be a Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z75 which was reviewed in January of 2007 by DPReview.com I was able to access the card once and copied the photos from the card to my laptop. I only got some of them but the date on them is 09/15/2007 and the some of the photos are of the University of Colorado football game agains Florida State University. I checked the CU website and they did play (and beat) FSU 09/15/2007 in a night game.

The woman in some of the photos is wearing a FSU baseball cap so I wonder if they were from Florida.

Kind of an interesting mystery, eh?

The gold contacts on the SD card are flaking off so I'm not sure I'll be able to access the card again. I've just got what I copied to my HD during the one time it read the card.

Best Regards,
Roger

Send the serial number of the camera to Casio, and see if they have a registered owner. Maybe it can be returned.

All right, here's some of their photos.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These might be the owners, but it wasn't her camera. She is in several photos, too many to be the primary user.

Along the trail. The aspen trees are turning.

At the trail head map.

Camera owner on right. He is only in a couple of photos.

Another possible owner. He only appears in this photo but it doesn't look posed so I don't think he was the camera owner.

Last photo recovered from the card. I guess they dropped the camera on the
way back down. +/- Bigfoot attack.

The JPEG EXIF info says the camera was an EX-SD500

WOW, what a mystery! If it was mine, I'd love to have it back, but then, I wonder why the camera ended up the way it did, unless it just simply fell out of a pocket? I would have been retracing steps to find it!

Being that the camera was "smashed and rusted", I wonder if the owner was attacked in any way (bear, big mountain cat, Jason from Friday the 13th, etc.)? A smashed up camera on the side of a busy roadway would make sense, but not so much so on a walking trail. Did you check with local law enforcement or newspapers to see if there was any mention of any animal attacks in the area at or around the sate of the last picture?

It sucks when you lose precious memories. My wife lost the memory card from her Sony cybershot a few years ago. It had all our pics from our trip to florida, including a video of when i asked her to marry me. She was devasted.

It sucks when you lose precious memories. My wife lost the memory card from her Sony cybershot a few years ago. It had all our pics from our trip to florida, including a video of when i asked her to marry me. She was devasted.
how well I know that one! I lost over 500 photos from when we took my Mom to Scarborugh Fair - that's before I learned about putting things on CD's. Now, Momma is gone, and I don't have those pics! I just hope I never lose the memories.

You may want to call the local police up there. It is possible that the owner was attacked or some other bad thing happened that night. You may have evidence in your hands.

OR

You can continue having fun with the photos. :D For a camera that beat up, it was probably dropped and rolled down the hill. happens all the time. But if I dropped my FE or AE1 I would find it. Those two would probably just dent the mountain a bit. Dust em off and keep going.

Daniel

Thanks for sharing

The camera may still contain fingerprints. Not only the OP's, but the camera owner's as well.

It should be submitted to the local PD. It might contain some clues.

Were there other items found nearby such as wallet, keys, clothing, jewelry, fingernalis, blood?

You may want to call the local police up there. It is possible that the owner was attacked or some other bad thing happened that night. You may have evidence in your hands.

OR

You can continue having fun with the photos. :D For a camera that beat up, it was probably dropped and rolled down the hill. happens all the time. But if I dropped my FE or AE1 I would find it. Those two would probably just dent the mountain a bit. Dust em off and keep going.

Daniel

Thanks for sharing
The camera may still contain fingerprints. Not only the OP's, but the camera owner's as well.

It should be submitted to the local PD. It might contain some clues.

Were there other items found nearby such as wallet, keys, clothing, jewelry, fingernalis, blood?
+1 on both comments.

You may also want to get an account on WarChant.com and post in the free board.

I would hope it's just a case the camera was simply lost and not a case of anything happening to the owner.

Youve created quite the discussion Roger. But i must agree too, you should check with the local police from there see if anything strange had happened around that time, or if any animal attacks or something along those lines had been reported.

Well, lots of interesting comments. It was lost almost two years ago so I don't think there was anything bad happening to the owner other than perhaps slipping while walking down the trail and landing on their camera and/or having it fall into Middle Boulder Creek.

The gold foil on the contacts has turned very flaky (literally) and I can't get the card recognized anymore.

I found it up on a rock well above the high water level (about 2' above the trail). The photos indicate they were hiking in the day time and there was a group of three people so if the photographer had been injured, the others would have been able to go for help. This trail is frequently hiked by lots of people. I don't know how it was overlooked for two years.

I think they were probably used to film cameras and after it got smashed they thought it was ruined and didn't know the memory card would still hold their photos. I dropped a PS into a swimming pool once and the Smart Media card was fine although it was the end for the Olympus camera.

I'll check out those websites.

Thanks,
Roger

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom