N.Y.C (lots of pictures!!)

I just returned from a business trip to NYC and had about a day and a half to take some personal time and pictures. Here are some of my favorites. I was really into the cabs for some reason and also tried to take the opportunity to show "movement." I also practiced some panning techniques. I would have loved to take my tripod, however I couldn't fit it so I would regularly stop where I saw a garbage can or mail box and rest the camera on it while pressing on it firmly for the low shutter or small aperture shots. I also took the opportunity to practice a tilt-shift emulation in photoshop. Fun stuff!!! Almost all taken with the 35-70 2.8 or 50 1.4

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 224018

View attachment 224019

View attachment 224022

View attachment 224023

Empire State Building
View attachment 224026

Sunset
View attachment 224027

View attachment 224030

View attachment 224032

View attachment 224033

View attachment 224035

View attachment 224036

View attachment 224037

View attachment 224039

View attachment 224041

View attachment 224042

View attachment 224046

View attachment 224047

Empire State Building in the reflection

View attachment 224048

View attachment 224050

Lower Manhattan

View attachment 224051

View attachment 224053

View attachment 224054

View attachment 224055

View attachment 224058

View attachment 224059

View attachment 224061

View attachment 224062

View attachment 224063

View attachment 224065

View attachment 224066

View attachment 224067

I Actually purposely made a point to never see her real face. I thought it was a cool concept. I could have stayed put all day to do that for others.
View attachment 224069

View attachment 224070

View attachment 224071

View attachment 224073

View attachment 224074

View attachment 224076

View attachment 224077

View attachment 224078

View attachment 224080

View attachment 224081

View attachment 224082

View attachment 224084

View attachment 224085

If that wasn't enough (sorry, I know it was a lot), there are more on my flickr page.

I loved them. I'm going to make the trip over to NYC one of these days. For #10 and #11, did you use a PC lens or did you do that in post processing?

some excellent imagery here
this one.... with your use of tilt/shift in post is awesome.....
like little toys/doesn't even look real... and i mean that in a GOOD WAY

also....
i hope that you will take the time to put your STREET MUSICIAN images... in THIS thread, as well:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=169228

thank you for doing that.... and sharing these with us

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I loved them. I'm going to make the trip over to NYC one of these days. For #10 and #11, did you use a PC lens or did you do that in post processing?
Thanks!! What a fun place for photography. I really wish I could have stayed longer. All the ones which look like tilt-shift were done in photoshop using a tutorial much like this one: http://www.tiltshiftphotography.net/photoshop-tutorial.php

If I had a tilt-shift lens I would have preferred to take it along, but in all honesty I would not have had time to set the focus as many of those were taken while driving on a tall bridge (which really helped the effect too!!).

some excellent imagery here
this one.... with your use of tilt/shift in post is awesome.....
like little toys/doesn't even look real... and i mean that in a GOOD WAY

also....
i hope that you will take the time to put your STREET MUSICIAN images... in THIS thread, as well:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=169228

thank you for doing that.... and sharing these with us
Thanks Greg, I think for the tilt shift to work, you really need to be very hight to make the subjects look small to begin with. And many of these were from the Brooklyn Bridge, so that helped. I was lucky that they were sharp too. I'll come back tonight and put some of those shots and more in the street musician thread; great idea!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Greg, I think for the tilt shift to work, you really need to be very hight to make the subjects look small to begin with. And many of these were from the Brooklyn Bridge, so that helped. I was lucky that they were sharp too. I'll come back tonight and put some of those shots and more in the street musician thread; great idea!!!
i'd love to see those images there
thanks for your reply... i appreciate that

i wish i'd been there to shoot with you

very well done

Great travelog of shots. Hope you had as much fun taking them as I did looking at them.

Excellent series Kurt! I love seeing NY through someone else's eyes. It's around me every day but you captured some really nice details and moments that I never stop to notice. Well done.

Great travelog of shots. Hope you had as much fun taking them as I did looking at them.
I did! I really truly enjoyed it. Being somewhere like New York is like Christmas morning for a photographer. I just wish I had more time and a tripod with me. I will certainly have to go back.

Excellent series Kurt! I love seeing NY through someone else's eyes. It's around me every day but you captured some really nice details and moments that I never stop to notice. Well done.
I hear ya, I'm only 45 minutes from San Francisco and yet hardly ever go there to photograph. I need to poke around my backyard a bit more too. Long Island was NICE. I really liked Brooklyn a lot. I would have spent more time there had I known.

Nice job Kurt. I thoroughly enjoyed them.
Thanks!!!

Nice, the statue with the pigeon covering the privates is my fave :)
Thanks Taylor, I like that one too! Funny. On a side note, I wish I had some of your real tilt-shift lenses for this excursion. I still can recall a lot of the shots you took of your campus with those tilt-shift lenses and the results are just amazing. Especially the ones you took in the snow.

Hey Kurt, you probably could've rented some lenses from B&H or Adorama for a day or two. I went to NYC recently, but took all film cameras. I brought an F100 as well, but only to use my 17-35 with.

Hey Kurt, you probably could've rented some lenses from B&H or Adorama for a day or two. I went to NYC recently, but took all film cameras. I brought an F100 as well, but only to use my 17-35 with.
Good point. I would have definitely done that, however it was primarily a business trip so I didn't have that much time really. And I had some issues to work out with my 35-70 2.8 so wanted to use it as much as possible. In fact, I really wanted to go to B&H which was only a few blocks from where I was staying, but I showed some restraint. Otherwise I would have spent some money. ;)

I also brought a film body (Nikon FE), but haven't processed the film yet.

K

Kromax

I'm in NYC every day, and I am always interested in seeing it captured by visitors. Well done. Great set.

Congrats on a fantastic series of images. Looks like you had a lot of fun :)
Thanks, I had a blast.

Hey Kemnik
The tilt-shift shots are awesome, thanks for sharing that website.
No problem, sure makes me want to get a dedicated tilt-shift lens

Great set, Kurt. Didn't want it to end. :smile:
Wow, cool thanks!! Maybe I'll add more!

awesome pictures. I actually work at the apple store on fifth ave. You did quite a bit of traveling in nyc.
That is so cool, are any of these people you?

I'm in NYC every day, and I am always interested in seeing it captured by visitors. Well done. Great set.
I know what you mean, it is cool to see other's perspective on things. You are lucky to be in such a great city. EVERY single person I met there was so nice and helpful.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom