1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

N.Y.C (lots of pictures!!)

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Kemnik, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I just returned from a business trip to NYC and had about a day and a half to take some personal time and pictures. Here are some of my favorites. I was really into the cabs for some reason and also tried to take the opportunity to show "movement." I also practiced some panning techniques. I would have loved to take my tripod, however I couldn't fit it so I would regularly stop where I saw a garbage can or mail box and rest the camera on it while pressing on it firmly for the low shutter or small aperture shots. I also took the opportunity to practice a tilt-shift emulation in photoshop. Fun stuff!!! Almost all taken with the 35-70 2.8 or 50 1.4

2681245183_313aefab6e_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 224018

View attachment 224019

2682058836_98b130f6bc_b.png

View attachment 224022

View attachment 224023

Empire State Building
    View attachment 224026

Sunset
    View attachment 224027

View attachment 224030

View attachment 224032

View attachment 224033

View attachment 224035

View attachment 224036

View attachment 224037

View attachment 224039

View attachment 224041

View attachment 224042

View attachment 224046

View attachment 224047

Empire State Building in the reflection

View attachment 224048

View attachment 224050

Lower Manhattan

View attachment 224051

View attachment 224053

View attachment 224054

View attachment 224055

View attachment 224058

View attachment 224059

View attachment 224061

View attachment 224062

View attachment 224063

View attachment 224065

View attachment 224066

View attachment 224067

I Actually purposely made a point to never see her real face. I thought it was a cool concept. I could have stayed put all day to do that for others.
    View attachment 224069

View attachment 224070

View attachment 224071

View attachment 224073

View attachment 224074

View attachment 224076

View attachment 224077

View attachment 224078

View attachment 224080

View attachment 224081

View attachment 224082

View attachment 224084

View attachment 224085

If that wasn't enough (sorry, I know it was a lot), there are more on my flickr page.

2. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    I loved them. I'm going to make the trip over to NYC one of these days. For #10 and #11, did you use a PC lens or did you do that in post processing?

3. some excellent imagery here
    this one.... with your use of tilt/shift in post is awesome.....
    like little toys/doesn't even look real... and i mean that in a GOOD WAY
    2681223583_f5c36868e1_b.png

also....
    i hope that you will take the time to put your STREET MUSICIAN images... in THIS thread, as well:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=169228

thank you for doing that.... and sharing these with us

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks!! What a fun place for photography. I really wish I could have stayed longer. All the ones which look like tilt-shift were done in photoshop using a tutorial much like this one: http://www.tiltshiftphotography.net/photoshop-tutorial.php

If I had a tilt-shift lens I would have preferred to take it along, but in all honesty I would not have had time to set the focus as many of those were taken while driving on a tall bridge (which really helped the effect too!!).

5. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Greg, I think for the tilt shift to work, you really need to be very hight to make the subjects look small to begin with. And many of these were from the Brooklyn Bridge, so that helped. I was lucky that they were sharp too. I'll come back tonight and put some of those shots and more in the street musician thread; great idea!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. i'd love to see those images there
    thanks for your reply... i appreciate that

i wish i'd been there to shoot with you

very well done

7. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great travelog of shots. Hope you had as much fun taking them as I did looking at them.

8. Excellent series Kurt! I love seeing NY through someone else's eyes. It's around me every day but you captured some really nice details and moments that I never stop to notice. Well done.

9. Nice job Kurt. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

10. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Nice, the statue with the pigeon covering the privates is my fave :) 

11. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I did! I really truly enjoyed it. Being somewhere like New York is like Christmas morning for a photographer. I just wish I had more time and a tripod with me. I will certainly have to go back.

I hear ya, I'm only 45 minutes from San Francisco and yet hardly ever go there to photograph. I need to poke around my backyard a bit more too. Long Island was NICE. I really liked Brooklyn a lot. I would have spent more time there had I known.

Thanks!!!

Thanks Taylor, I like that one too! Funny. On a side note, I wish I had some of your real tilt-shift lenses for this excursion. I still can recall a lot of the shots you took of your campus with those tilt-shift lenses and the results are just amazing. Especially the ones you took in the snow.

12. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Kurt, you probably could've rented some lenses from B&H or Adorama for a day or two. I went to NYC recently, but took all film cameras. I brought an F100 as well, but only to use my 17-35 with.

13. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Good point. I would have definitely done that, however it was primarily a business trip so I didn't have that much time really. And I had some issues to work out with my 35-70 2.8 so wanted to use it as much as possible. In fact, I really wanted to go to B&H which was only a few blocks from where I was staying, but I showed some restraint. Otherwise I would have spent some money. ;) 

I also brought a film body (Nikon FE), but haven't processed the film yet.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Congrats on a fantastic series of images. Looks like you had a lot of fun :) 

15. Hey Kemnik
    The tilt-shift shots are awesome, thanks for sharing that website.

16. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Great set, Kurt. Didn't want it to end. :smile:

17. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    awesome pictures. I actually work at the apple store on fifth ave. You did quite a bit of traveling in nyc.

18. Kromax

Kromax Guest

I'm in NYC every day, and I am always interested in seeing it captured by visitors. Well done. Great set.

19. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, I had a blast.

No problem, sure makes me want to get a dedicated tilt-shift lens

Wow, cool thanks!! Maybe I'll add more!

That is so cool, are any of these people you?

2681187371_fdf761752f_b.png

I know what you mean, it is cool to see other's perspective on things. You are lucky to be in such a great city. EVERY single person I met there was so nice and helpful.

20. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    nope, none of those are me, but I was probably not far away at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.