N2 di-GPS MINI

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by DALLAS, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007
  2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Link works for me, but unit seems a tad pricey at about $250.

3. The unit works very well. I got one that had the cable release included. Seemed to be less expensive than buying all the cables and GPS separately.

4. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I'm so close to buying one of these. eventhough I have a gps and the serial cable for the gps. all I need is the nikon MC-35. which is over 100 dollars and ends up with a large mess of things to handle.

also eyeing the AYAY SIR gps on ebay. its about 120 for everything you need and is much smaller than the mc-35 and gps unit. also self powered to save in the short lived D200 batteries. at almost 3X the price this unit is a little hard to justify, but its so much sexier than all the other alternatives.

5. I just emailed them about a problem I was having with the modified MC-30 remote cable that came with the unit I purchased. They responded very quickly and are sendin me the current version of the remote. Very prompt customer service. I really like the compact nature of this device and its ease of use. Gives me location and altitude in the EXIF data.

The N2 di-GPS MINI and the Apple iPhone are my two favorite devices.

6. I got my N2 di-GPS mini today. I connected it to my D2X and took two photos just to try it out. Worked like a champ. Then I connected the MC-30 to check it out, it worked just as advertised. I Check the photos on my MAC in Nikon view 6, all the information was there, Latitude, longitude and atitude. It is a very compact unit. I think I wiil be very happy with it. It is much better than the mess of cables (rats nest) I was using before. On the weekend I will give it a full test drive.

7. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    im jealous! I just got my gps today. its a cheaper one I found on ebay that works with nikon. its a cerdit card sized usb gps and they have made cables for it to work with nikon. It uses an external usb battery so it should help with the short battery life on the D200.

One thing I noticed and thoms e-book confirmed. the cameras meter and everything doesnt sleep when a gps is attached. so I would say to turn the camera off when you are not using it.

If you have opanda exif installed you can right click on a photo. and click on "locate spot on map by GPS" and it will bring up google maps and show the spot. very cool!

8. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Looks like the one I made over a year ago. GBP25 (USD50) for a GPS unit, cut up a MC-30 cable for the 10 pin connector, bit of solder and a hot-shot adapter and hey presto. Pulls the power from the camera and is Sif 3 as well for accuracy. My mark 2 is to include a 2.5mm connector to attach the MC-30 'handle' in case I do ever want to use it. USD250 = overpriced in my opinion but hey, someone needs to pay staff,rent,taxes etc.
    Only downside is I was writing a webpage so people could click on the photo to goto a google map of where I took the image but where I live (and take photographs mainly), Google hasn't got even semi-decent images yet, it's all a blurry mush.

9. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    bummer, I can see my driveway. :p

10. Just an update, received the replacement for the modified MC-30 yesterday. Hope to get time to test it this weekend. Nice looking unit.

11. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I've had mine for about four months and love it. Great device, excellent service and good product. I keep my attached to my neck strap so that my hot-shoe is available.

12. Scott, I know SmugMug has some kind of mapping option on it. Have you used the GPS data with that option in Smugmug yet?

13. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    New model with built-in MC30

Am looking at getting the model they now offer with an additional short cable for using the MC-30. rather than the phone jack type release. Does anyone have any experience with this?

My main concern is having the MC-30 (actually cut down MC21) hanging loose when hand holding camera. Does this get in the way.

Bjorn's site has a picture of this in his review.

Thanks
    Dan

14. I finally got time to test the new release they sent, works great. They replaced the malfunctioning one faster than I got it tested. Great service!

15. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Just got mine and hooked it up. Works like a charm! Appears to be about 15-20 yards off when using it in my backyard and going to Google Maps.

Question, got the unit with the MC-21 extension - it seems that there will be a lot less cords hanging around if I hook the unit to the camera strap and use cable ties to secure the cables down the strap. Anybody have any other ideas or better way to keep the cables out of the way?

Love the unit after 2 minutes using.

Thanks alot.
    Dan

16. I use VELCRO. I did the test drive, it works great. You barely no it's there, (on the camera:)

17. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    the 20 yrd accuracy is a result of Nikon rounding off the last digit in the GPS location. 20yrds is exactly what it should be off since its missing that last digit. its a shame that they did that. whats 2 more bytes in a 3meg jpg file?

18. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    The use of cable tis to the strap gets both cords out of thew way with the MC-21 socket easily accessible. I think this is a good way for me to go.

I agree with Matt on the accuracy, read that from Thom Hogan. I feel the same way as Matt.

Dan

19. I'm not familiar with the deeper, darker bits of GPS data but one thing I noticed on the di-GPS website is that the datum is "WGS84". However, on my Garmin VistaC I prefer to use "NAD27 Conus". Can you say if this option is available; and/or if it matters? thanks...

20. All I can tell you is that panaramio.com correctly locates where the image was taken from the data in the EXIF from the di-GPS unit.