Naiive Nikon High ISO Noise experiment.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by spencer313, Aug 1, 2007.

1. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

I understand from other posts that the D2Hs is Nikon's high-ISO noise leader. I have an experiment I would like to try, but don't have half of the required gear.

1) Shoot the exact same scene, contrived to elicit high-ISO noise, of course, with the D2Hs, and the D2X(s).

2) Resample (using simple bicubic) the D2X image to be the same exact size as the smaller D2Hs image.

3) Compare the noise.

This experiment is to investigate whether the pixel size alone determines the noise source, or is it a function of the particular process used to manufacture each sensor. (One flaw in the experiment is coupling in how the downsampling function works.)

Any thoughts?

(For the record, the present noise on the D2X does not bother me much, and I have no plans on chasing it to another brand of camera.)

2. You should be sure to use the same processing, that is camera settings, as far as comparable or RAW processing if you use RAW, as that step as quite some impact on noise in the final image.

3. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

You are right. But I have gotten so used to shooting RAW-only that I did not think of it.

4. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA