Name that 85!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by nancyr, Sep 14, 2008.

1. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    This is a guessing game.

First shot is from a legendary 85 that I don't believe has ever been discussed here. It doesn't mount on a Nikon, so I have to hold it against my D200's lens mount for a shot and fine-tune the focus by moving. :eek:
    (This is also my macro technique; I should really try a tripod sometime!)

Here it is at f/2 (it does open wider, but I missed focus, d'oh!):
    [​IMG]

By way of comparison, a Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS also at f/2 (I think it holds up darned well despite less DOF due to closer angle; then again, its bokeh is smoother at f/2 than at f/1.4):
    [​IMG]

Both are D200 with WB slightly tweaked to match (85 was a tad warmer) and A mode for exposure (I am lazy). Normal contrast, normal saturation, same modest sharpen for web.

I gotta put this puppy on ebay; it should buy me a Nikkor, though I only paid $320 new back in '85... of course it may only be a sidegrade.:wink: And I'll miss it. But maybe less with that Nikkor in my hot little hands. :smile:

Anybody got a guess?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  2. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
  3. Legendary 85? Zeiss 85mm f/1.2 C/Y mount ???

4. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Nein. Ist nicht Deutsch.:smile:

5. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    greater than 2.0? that drops out arsat and kiev. maybe a mir/helios 85 1.5?

6. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    It's a 1.4. Not THAT obscure.

7. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Pentax? Their 85/1.4 was reputed to be excellent.

8. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Bingo! The Nikon trivia meister knows the other guys too! And yes, it is most excellent indeed.

[​IMG]

Pentax makes some lovely glass, and it even focuses the right way. I kept this and the LX/motor when I switched to Nikon. I still take 'em out sometimes, which is probably why I haven't sold 'em... :rolleyes:

Apologies for the late post; I was sick much of the week. No doubt you were all holding your breath for the answer.

9. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Well, it was a lucky guess. There aren't that many "legendary 85 1.4" lenses about. The next guess would have been Minolta :smile:

I have a soft spot for Pentax. Dad used a Pentax for family pictures when we were growing up, he still has the same camera although he uses a digital P&S more now. Pentax made a lot of great products over the years although they never quite broke into the professional market like Nikon or Canon. I also use a Pentax 645 - great system - which I bought partly because the aperture and focus turn the same way as Nikon.

10. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Nancy, now I know what you're talking about :smile: I mean Pentax glass! Great lens (on my "LUST" list :smile: ) and great "demo" shot.

11. Nancy the Pentax really brings out the shadows on the bear's face. I was poking around looking for an AIS 85 since most of the shooting with that lens is static subjects and came across an 85 f/1.4 AIS from Nikkor, but it turns out is costs almost as much as the 85 f/1.4D. Darn, thought I was onto something.