Name the Raptor (ID)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    OK, for the raptor experts, here's a tough one. Do you know what kind of bird this is? The only hint is, while this one currently resides in the USA, he's not native.

2. Well the closest I can come up with is a Harris Hawk. I can’t see the sides of your photo but as you can see the Harris has rust colored shoulders and is an excellent bird for the beginning Falconer. The bird I am posting is a resident bird and has been for many years so some of the yellow coloring will be a bit whitish due to diet. I see the bird you posted has Jesses on it’s legs so I am guessing this is a bird in a raptor center or one used for falconry. Just a guess but I know the Harris has been around for a long time.
    Lou
    HABITAT: These hawks are found in semiarid habitats like savannas, chaparrals, scrub prairies, and mesquite and saguaro deserts. They range from the southwestern United States through Central America and into much of the drier habitats in South America.

589609552_1001d5ae54_b.

View attachment 102079

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nope, not a Harris. and, yes, I'm familiar with the Harris, see the avatar.....

4. If this is true then it is not a Harris Hawk as they reside in the South West of North America.

I will hazard a guess at a Yellow Billed Kite but I do not think that this is correct.

Bob F.

5. The bill definitely looks like a kite. My guess would be a Black Kite.

6. .

MMMM. Not sure about this. We had them flying over our holiday home in France and although one can see the white area on the underwing there also seems to be white on the upperside which would be unusual.

Have you noticed how he has not shown us the tail of the raptor? I bet this was intentional.

Bob F.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nope, not a kite. Sorry Bob, I don't have a shot with the tail in it. It is red on the underside, very much like a redtail hawk.

8. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Black hawk ? buteogallus anthracinus

9. I do not think so as this is a native American Bird.

Candidly I am of the opinion that Baywing has been very naughty and cloned three different birds to make one image and therefore it is obviously:-

Eagalhawk mixupalot.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bob F.

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Guess it's time to divulge the name. Bob, it is NOT native to the USA as I said in the original post, but it is native to Africa where it is called a black, african, augur buzzard (aka african redtailed hawk). This particular one is a rare all black one, and this bird, Navaar, has confused more than one raptor expert. Genus is buteo, so it is a relation to the Red Tail of north america.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Eagalhawk mixupalot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob you are a trip:>))))

Good ID
    rofl

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks for the info Bay

13. Interesting BayWing, where did you get to photograph it? Funny I checked my book on the red tail first as there are so many different species around but I said NAW can't be. When I looked at the Harris I though gee the size and color seem close to the one we have in the rehab center so at least I gave it a shot and came away with something new. Neat idea just don't put any sparrows up there next OK.:biggrin::biggrin:
    Lou

14. You sligh old fox. You certainly had some of us going there.

Very well then. My revenge is that very soon I am going to post a picture of a dung beetle at work and I will expect you to indentify which animal sh*t it. :eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

Many thanks for the thread. It made me think.:confused::confused::confused:

Bob F.

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, Lou. I thought it might have been a variant of the Harris when I first saw it, but it was much larger than a Harris. With the red tail, it could have been a Redtail variant, but it was black with white under the wings, so it just didn't look right. Knowing what it is, it makes some sense, but as I was told, the all-black body is a rarity.
    I took a batch of photos at Talons, Inc, in NY during a hawk walk I scheduled. It was a thrill to be able to work with a Harris, I spent more time flying the birds than taking photos, which is just fine with me.

16. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Elephant.......