1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Name your price. (Question)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wikk3d, Aug 29, 2008.

1. wikk3d

wikk3d

Mar 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    My college wants to use me to take pictures at pretty much all home games for the almost all of the sports. They said they have a budget set so they have some room for me, but I was totally blind sided when they told me to name my price. Me, never being asked that question before, had no idea what to say. So they are giving me the weekend to come up with an idea.

I have no idea how they plan to pay me. I'm not sure if they want to do it by game, or just pay me at the end of the semester or something or on a weekly basis. I was thinking about starting at about $50 a game and seeing if we can come to some sort of agreement on a price. Usually when I take pictures, I average around 300 pictures and I'm there for the whole game. So I am doing about 2-4 hours of work depending on the sport. I also plan on taking days off from work to cover some of the games so I should be made up for that.

Has anyone else been in this situation before? If so how did you come to a conclusion.

2. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    are you a student? go for some tuitiion/room and board compensation or something ...

3. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Man, you need to feel this out. Is there someone connected with the school that might give you insight? Even text books comped would be nice, but then cash is always an appropriate expression of gratitude and worth.

4. wikk3d

wikk3d

Mar 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Well the thing is usually when I do a job for photography, I like to use whatever I make solely towards new equipment. Sure it would be nice for some compensation on my tuition, but I'm not even sure if they can do that for me. I am a student, and actually I pay nothing for books since most of my professors either write their own or just not use them at all. (I'm a music major.)

5. Frankly, I'd talk to who ever asked you to do it, ask about payment and see what happens. It's your time, your gear, and if anything should happen, who will pay for damages? Good luck!

6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

How are they going to use the pictures?

7. wikk3d

wikk3d

Mar 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    He told me mainly just for public relations and stuff. He also told me if anyone asks for the pics they do not sell them but they lend them to whomever (local news papers and such), and all credit goes to me.

He told me in no way would he be selling them.

8. But, you can still use the money you save to purchase photography equipment. The reason this is a good idea is that they can give you more of a value with these items than strictly paying you.

9. wikk3d

wikk3d

Mar 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Does my quote though sound too high? I mean I'm going to be doing this for the entire year.

10. $50 per game - nope, too low! I'd say talk to some of the other sports shooters - eng45ine is a great one to talk to, check out the sports forum and see who else you can chat with. I shot only 1 game, that was my LAST game! It just wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer MX. :rolleyes: 

11. Why not do it on an annual fee with a certain event guarantee. Say $3000 and guarantee of 50 events with a $100 charge for any event over 50. Also add that they need your permission to release photos to other parties and you have the ability to charge outside parties.

Just thoughts. Heck aim big and don't undervalue yourself. It is easier to take less than it is to get more.

12. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

What I found on another site..

1) images: how many final images?
    2) usage: what is the usage? magazines? billboards? usage as in use in where?
    3) years: ask how many years they intend to use it
    4) coverage: in which country?
    5) reputation: as in how famous you are. if you are nobody then it's 1 (yes i consider myself a 1)

it's a classic 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x5 or at least that's what I remembered what my agent told me.

so if usage is mag only 5(images) x $500(usage for mags) x 1 (yr) x 1 (country) x 1 = $2,500.
    it's an example. dont quote me. i dont even quote myself. -.-

when shooting commerical. it's always about how many final images they want. yes they can count it. if they dont then count for them. sit down and understand what they want to use it for. how they want to use it. what is the demographics they want to hit. then you can roughly figure out what kind of images they want.

commercial is about 90% preparation and 10% shooting.
    and of that 100% shots, only 5% get selected for final reproduction. (with the exception of HDR, 1 angle = 1 shot)

13. $50 bucks a game, with an average of 2-4 hours per game is $12 to $25 bucks per hour. Way too low. I know this sounds great to a poor college student, but it's not. I would do a minimum of $100-$150 per event, especially since you aren't gonna make any money off the individual images. Another idea is, you could figure out which lens you absolutely need to shoot sports (minimum 300/2.8 at roughly $5 grand), and just make that your price for the year. That way, you can basically have them pay for a great sports lens. Heck, just come right out and say, "Hey, I need this lens to get the shots I need. This is how much it costs. Buy it, and that will cover my fee..." Then next year, price a 200-400, or a 400/2.8. Good luck.

14. Now that's good thinking! If ya don't have the right gear, have to buy it or something, make sure they know about it and hopefully they'll cover the expense! WOW, why didn't I think of that! :rolleyes: 

15. wikk3d

wikk3d

Mar 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    All I have right now is a Sigma 70-200mm and a 1.4x which is just about perfect for what I'm going to do because I have access to the field and everything. They also might want me to cover practices and such.

To everyone else, I kinda like the idea of being paid per game mainly because if I can't make it to ever single game, I don't want them to think I'm flaky like that.

Would it be best in my interest to aim as high as possible? This way we can negotiate down. The only thing is I don't want them to think I'm all high and mighty and such. I also come from a smaller school, a D-II school with about 3,000 students. It's also a private institution so it is quite an expensive school to go to. They also told me because they have room they want to be able to higher a professional for something a lot more important, public relation wise.

Any other ideas? Thank you for all the input so far too because I'm really learning a lot from this.

16. Well, show them some of your work - portfolio - Your best shots would show them what you can do - a professional is gonna charge a whole lot more! Don't sell yourself short, but find a middle.

17. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

You can always negotiate down, start high and work your way down.
    Chances are they have more then $50/game budgeted.

18. wikk3d

wikk3d

Mar 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    They have actually seen my work and really enjoy it.

19. In that case, go higher than $50! What happens if you get hit by a player and you or some part of your gear gets broken? will they cover damages? Our precious lenses and camera bodies are expensive. And probably even more so since you are paying for your education!

20. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

$150-200 a game to start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.