Namibia - Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Jul 2, 2007.

1. I've just posted some animal pictures on the Animal forum so here are some birds I photographed in Namibia

Everywhere you looked there were Pale Chanting Goshawks

and hornbills

but also smaller birds

Together with numerous species lumped under the LBJ umberella:confused:

All taken with a D1H and 80-400VR

2. D1H and 80-400VR? These images are extraodinary, and here the rest of us are complaining about out 10 MP+ bidoes and prime lenses.... Thanks for sharing!!!

3. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Those are great photos Dave.
    Have you used you skills just North of you, i.e. Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust?
    Best regards
    Andy

4. Dave,

Ditto, you've got some beautiful images, the chanting goshhawk is fabulous!
    Aside from the great color, feather detail and depth, the framing and expression are knock out!
    He looks like he is speaking right to you, having a converstion . . . if you will . . . engaged with you!
    I really do need to send my 80-400 in for repair, what a wonderful set of images! Well done, indeed!

Robin

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well done dave
    They are all great shots
    The first one is a beautiful bird. Love that color of blue .

6. Great Set with the Goshawk being The leader

7. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Very nice shots.

8. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The Goshawk is a very beautiful bird. Love the coloring in that image. All of these are very good Dave!

9. Thanks for the compliment. I have just this momernt got in from working all day at Slimbridge, I volunteer there 2 days a week. You can see some pictures I have taken there over the years at http://www.pbase.com/dgrosser/slimbridge

10. Thanks everyone for the comments - it encourages me to go out and take more!!!
    The 80-400 is really one of Nikons great lenses just as long as you remember its costs only 1/5 as much as a 400 f/2.8 and does have some limitations.

11. Well done Dave. I agree with Andreas. Perfect.

12. You guys keep taking the great vacations and I keep adding to my list of places I need to go! :biggrin: Here's hoping my 401K shares split enough by the time I retire so I can actually get to some of them. LOL :biggrin: Namibia, here I come!:wink:
    Beautiful images.

13. Hi Dave,

Those are sure great bird photos. Where did you visit while there?

Nan & I were in Namibia for a couple of days in 2005. It is a great place for photography. It is one of the places we would like to go back to and spend more time.

Bob & Nan

14. We had three weeks. We flew London to Windhoek and picked up our Land Rover there. We then drove down to Sossusvlei to see the sand dunes. Then up to Swakopmund, while there we booked a local expert to try and get over the dunes into Sandwich bay (a birding area of world importance) - my wife who does all the driving in our family has formal 4 wheel drive training but getting into Sandwich bay is very serious stuff - even our expert failed that day because of an onshore wind and high tides, this would have been our route if we had risked it..

We then went to the Seal colony at Cape Cross, then accross to Brandberg and then on to Hobotere Lodge which is run by one of the top birders in Southern Africa. After that it was a number of lodges and camp sites around Etosha NP, down to the Wartbug Plateau and finally one night of shear luxury where somehow through a bit of luck we had managed to get a sole occupancy of the The Villa at Okonjima at the price of ordinary accomodation, this is normally the resort of Film Stars rather than retired aerospace engineers. :smile::smile: