Nap time at the zoo

Discussion in 'Birds' started by strobel, Oct 17, 2005.

1. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Had some time and took he kids to the Brookfield Zoo in Illinois. I went into the buildings where they keep the various monkeys, apes, orangutans, and others, well you get the idea. I found mom relaxing while baby was taking a nap. I know the rock is a little distracting but had no choice they were hiding a little and could only see them from a certain vantage point.

For some reason I just like the photo and wanted to share.
    [​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Heck, I can see why you liked it Ron. It shows a lot about the love a mom has for her babies, and that to some extent, all animals share this love (or at least those that don't eat their young :rolleyes:).

Excellent shot. :smile:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Such expressive faces
    curious about your setting 1/20 very slow with tripod I assume ??
    nice catch light in the eyes as well :wink:

4. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

No, hand held with the VR on. I set the f-stop to 2.8 (indoors no flash allowed) and then tried several ISO settings (up to 800) and I was able to keep still enough at that setting to get a clear picture. As you can see mom was not going anywhere, so I did not have to hurry the shot.

Thanks
    Ron

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice capture, Ron. I have tried to get some quality images in that building before and have gone home disappointed each time. I like your image and the rock in the foreground is really not a minus at all. The DOF is quite pleasing. Great shooting.

6. I could stare at these guys for hours...sweet image!!!

7. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Thank you Frank! I was a little lucky, the sun was shinning bright so the skylights were letting in a lot of light. It was a perfect day for the zoo, the temperature was fantastic so the animals outside were very active and out.

It would be great if the Chicago members were to get together and do that outing we were talking about.

Ron

8. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Thanks George, that is what I was doing. They are just so fascinating. Who knows maybe they are thinking the same thing about us?