Napa Winery - First Post

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by jln319, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I took this on a recent trip to Napa Valley. It was at the Sterling Winery. I really liked the warm glow of the room.

[​IMG]

This was looking out over the balcony of the place we stayed. (night shot)
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any suggestions for improvement I would be grateful. Thanks.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Jeff,

First off, welcome to the Cafe!

Second...talk about making a first impression...wow, that first shot is lovely. I see what you mean about the "warm glow"....the same feeling I get after my 2nd or 3rd glass of wine.... :redface: Seriously though, you've got a really nice shot there...Thanks for sharing.

3. Jeff
    welcome! the first shot indeed conveys the feeling you describe. Great shot. the second is blurry on my screen as if it needed a tripod.
    Dave

4. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thank you! Yes the second shot is blurry, I kept it for the memory. I didn't have a tripod and trying to hold it steady for the exposure after a day of wine and beer(yes, Napa has a couple of micro-breweries) tasting was a bit of a challenge, :tongue: , that I lost. lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That Sterling winery is beautiful isn't it? Did you ride the gondola up? You've taken a great shot of the aging room - do you love that smell? Your photo really gives the feel of the place. Now I want to go back there.

6. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Hey Chris, we did ride the gondola up. It's the only way to get up there IMHO. That is my favorite picture from the whole trip. I took several of that room but that one seemed to capture it for me. I'll never forget the smell. I want to go back too. Thanks.

7. It's hard to judge the scale but is that door in the back of the first one full size? If so, those barrels are HUGE!! I, too, like the first shot. It's been years since I was in Napa but it was a great trip!!

8. Hey Jeff! Good to see a fellow whino! :wink:

I like the first shot, the second one I like, but is a bit soft. Happens to us all. Keep posting, do you have more shots of your trip there or any other places?

I was just there two weeks ago. My wife and I spent 5 nights in the Napa/Sonoma area. We were at 30-35 wineries including Sterling. Did you hit Clos Pegase across the road?

I am still working on my shots. I have only put a few up on my pbase from this trip:

http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor/napasonoma2006&page=2
    these on page 2 are from Viansa and Artesa wineries. More to come soon.
    the gallery below is a prior trip early in 2004 to that area and San Fran:
    http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor/napa_trip
    and here is from Nov 2004, our first Crush Party as well as some wineries:
    http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor/napasonoma_october_2004&page=3

Did you get some wine? If so, what type and where. We came home with 3 cases of bottles from various wineries and had 2 cases shipped from V.Sattui Winery.

Welcome to AA, uh I mean Nikon Cafe... :wink:

9. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Kevin,

Yes that is a full size door. Probably bigger than a full size door. The two, what seem like tiny barrels, on the floor are really full size oak barrels. Those big barrels are really large. I think that is the blending and aging room.
    Here is another shot of the room with the door in a little better perspective.

[​IMG]

More barrels. This room was at least 30 feet high, probably higher, with those oak barrels in racks stacked everywhere.

[​IMG]

BD,

I hate to admit it, but we didn't come back with too much. Probably less than a case and mostly whites, sparkling, and zinfindel. I only live a little over an hour drive from Napa and can make it a day trip. Really don't seem to get up there much, life always seems to get in the way. I really enjoy a good beer and the Silverado micro brewery, right there on Hwy 29, has some good ones.

Anyway, I didn't make it to Clo Pegase but I have a few more shots of Sterling....

Here is a shot of the entry to sterling.

[​IMG]

These shots are from the viewing area at Sterling, after the gondola ride up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the gondola at Sterling.

[​IMG]

10. Good to see you making your first post Jeff and a very good one at that. Aren't winery's fun? I have been to many of them in the Napa Valley.

11. this is a shot of the castle and new facility being built by Darryl Sattui of V.Sattui. They will be making wine there. Its a new facility for them that has been under construction for a number of years

[​IMG]