Naples Zoo Today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GeeJay, Feb 13, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Today we went down to the Naples Zoo. It's very small but nice and all we have in the area. I've lived here 33 years and have never been there before.

This Florida Panther was up in a dark hole and this was very difficult but I managed to at least get enough so you can see what this gorgeous animal that is so rare in Florida and so protected looks like. (that's the longest sentence I've ever written :D )

Used my 70-200VR lens because so much dust didn't want to change lenses.

Gaye

15849518-L.

[/img]

2. Striking image of this powerful cat. Well done Gaye. I really like the way the light plays on it.

3. Hi Gaye,
    Nicely done, I like it. Thank you for sharing. :)

4. Funny how the rarest and most protected species tend to be the least likely to come out and pose when you have your camera ready... :)

Nice capture under tough conditions. Maybe next time s/he'll be more cooperative.

On a technical note, I'm seeing some posterization in the background on this picture; even more than I would have expected for a gamma-pushed shot. How much JPG compression was used for this?

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice kitty pic Gaye.... :p

You will have to give us a tour of the zoo next time we all stop by. :lol:

Regards,

Frank

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi David,
    The original picture was 2464 X 1632 and I made it 900X632 but then there's no telling how much smaller Smugmug made it...and I'm sure they made it much smaller... that's the one that's posted here..

This panther was up in a hole that was very dark and he was very far away..also had to shoot through a wire fence so am surprised that doesn't show..you do see some of the fence behind him/her :D

This was my first experience at a zoo with a camera. We'll go again soon and get the monkeys on the island and also the flower gardens.

It surprised me how interested folks were in my D2H and my 70-200VR. That was a new experience for me too.

Best to you and have fun with the gang next weekend. I'll be looking for all the pictures that will deluge this forum site . Wish I could be there but wil be there in spirit :)

Gaye

7. Beautiful shot Gaye of a beautiful animal! but I agree with David, there's something weird about the compression...Smugmug must have really done a number on it!

Looks like you had a fun day yesterday as well, post some other animal shots!

8. Gee Jay

Very nice under tough conditions, I shoot at the zoo a lot here in Philly and you can get some very natural looking shots , you ought to try and go more often

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Funny about this panther picture. It was way back in a corner of a very dark area--in fact the entire area they live in was covered with trees so all shade and dark. And I had to shoot through the chain link fence. I think maybe the fence behind the cat is part of the problem with the background.

The pictures were all hazy looking and almost looked like they were covered with a haze filter if there is such a thing.. really foggy looking. Actually it looked like it was under water in a fish bowl in the original pictures.

I shot at 200ISO, f/2.8,1/45th and 200 mm with the 70-200 VR lens.
    The only light was coming from the top left corner and that shows the fence behind the cat. I didn't expect to get any picture at all.

I will go back and attack this panther situation again.. Perhaps that light up in the left corner behind the cat is what gave me a picture at all..I tend to think so.

Thanks and Happy Valentine's Day to you all XX0000 :wink: :!:

Gaye

10. At f/2.8 it's very possible that the chain-link fence in front of you was causing the haze. Wider apertures make it possible to almost lose foreground items when your focal point is much further away, but a part of the fence being blurred significantly (as would happen with the wide aperture) could cause a large area of the image to appear hazy.

In either case, that pic is still very much a "keeper" in my book...

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi David,
    That's interesting information and I think that's right.

Just awhile ago I went back and checked the aperture of another picture I had of a big turtle..I noticed that the open aperture pictures had very little of the fence and the smaller aperture pictures of the same turtle had noticable fence in front of it.....so that's definitley what I had just come up with but it confirms it to read your comments.

Many thanks for that information...I find it very helpful! I guess there's lots to think about with the camera at the zoo :lol:

Gaye

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005

Gaye :

Yah, the fences are a pain to shoot with. As you've discovered, shooting wide-open will render the fences OOF enough for interesting shots, although the bokeh goes a bit nuts with the shape of the fence.

Here's one from Salt Lake City's Tracy Aviary last summer that has some of the same characteristics. Note the aperture -- wide-open for the lens and TC combo.

[​IMG]
    D100, 70-200mm VR/AFS, TC14eII (net FL 280mm), ISO200, f/4, 1/320s, exp. comp -0.7, WB Cloudy -2

Great bokeh with the 70-200mm AFS/VR, of course, but... That kind of more geometric background is a "love/hate" sort of thing, although the OOF fence in front of the bird gives a nicely diffused image, a bit like the old 'forties kind of glamour shots, eh ? It's fair to say that this young lady wasn't the subject of a Republic serial, though...

Great fun to shoot at zoos and aviaries, but it's a bit tricky to manage all the light issues and then factor in cages, fences, et al. I'll be back in SLC in two weeks, so we'll see just what I can manage to get then.

John P.

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi John,
    Great to hear from you and to have you on this forum..

That picture of your bird is really 'cool' (as the kids would say). No one would ever guess that there's a fence in front of her. I had no idea about the fences and all the other things I need to know at the zoo.

Thanks for the comments and for your insights about zoos. I'll look for more from you when you return from SLC. In the meantime I'm headed back to the Caribbean Garden Zoo in Naples, Florida ASAP... I'm dying to try out some of the aperture and lighting issues..

Thanks and great to hear from you :!:

Gaye

14. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Beautiful cat,great image with that lighting

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gaye :

Great to be here.

I'm not off to SLC quite yet. In the interim, I've been doing some other shooting as well that I'm working on. See :

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=369&highlight=

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=367&highlight=

for some other stuff.

Now, if I can just kick this damn' respiratory bug.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Hans,

Thanks for your nice comment about my 'light challenged' panther picture :D

Also, how is Nena doing? I'm hoping she's out romping around and enjoying life again.

Best to you,

Gaye

17. Hi Gaye,

Thank you for posting the Florida Panther. I saw one in the wild once when working at Cape Canaveral in 1967 or 1968. I had never heard of a Florida Panther and I had to stop at the Range Control Center to ask what I had seen.
    At that time there were still a few in the wild back country of the Cape. I wonder if they are still there? I'll try to ask at Merritt Island NWR when we are there for the shoot this weekend.

Bob

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Bob,
    That's an interesting story about the endangered Florida Panther. It's a beautiful animal and I hope it can survive. I don't know much about it but do know they are down in the Everglades in southern Florida. Bet Harry
    or Harris will know something about it.

Wish I could be there this weekend. I'd enjoy meeting you and all the others. I'll be at the next one for sure and can hardly wait to see your pictures.

Best to you and know you'll enjoy your fun this weekend,

Gaye