1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NAS plus KEH equals... a 135/2.8 AIS & 80-200/4 AIS (updated)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by SP77, Aug 13, 2009.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    a 135mm f/2.8 AI-S
    [​IMG]

and an 80-200 f/4 AI-S
    [​IMG]

Total bill including shipping was under $250! Both BGN lenses - can't wait to try them out. God is that place dangerous! :tongue:

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Nice score, Keh a dangerous place:tongue:. You dont have to tell me:biggrin:.

I would love to see some example's of the Nikkor 80-200 4.5 AIS, and the Nikkor 135 2.8 AIS. What body are you using? Have fun with your new glass.

3. Very nice Steve.

I've had my eye on a 135mm f/2.8 as well. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it and seeing some images. Good score!!!

4. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    congrats .. post some pics :) 

5. Adkid

Adkid

Jan 3, 2009
    Portland
    Very nice Steve. I have considered the 135 2.8 AIS, but I just can't pull the trigger since I already have the 135 F2 DC. Still why am I lusting for the AIS? Darn this NAS:eek: 

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    thanks! The 80-200 is the newer f/4 version, not the older f/4.5. Also considered the 75-150 f/3.5 Series E but since I'll probably be using this on film also I wanted the extra reach. It's nice to have some extra speed over an f/5.6 like the 70-300vr, but I don't always want to drag my 70-200vr around, so I figured I'd give this a try. I plan to use it at longer distances where precise focus and DOF isn't as much of a concern, so manual focus should be fine. The 135 I'll use for some portrait shots. Will be using these on either my F100 or D200.

Thanks Robert! Before you left for awhile didn't you have a nice collection of manual focus Nikon primes? Was it the 105/2.5 that you had? I thought I remembered seeing that in your lineup.

Thanks Wayne! I actually want that 135/2DC, badly, but what I really want is a quicker focusing AF-S version. Have also heard some not so good things about the DC mechanism so I'd be too chicken to buy a used one. How do you like yours? I've seen some phenomenal shots with them. :smile: Hopefully I'll be able to get some nice shots with the AIS. I loved my 18-135dx lens at the 105-135 end but it just got too slow out there at f/5.6 so I sold it. This will get me a small fast prime at a similar length again, and with a little more speed.

7. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Nice grabs!!

8. Very nice. I have the same two lenses but in Tokina Ai and they are OK. Would love to see the Nikon ones and how they do.

9. good stuff. can you post a pic of them once you get them? i am interested to see what KEH bgn is.

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah I'll post some photos. Search around, though. I think 'Uncle Frank' picked one of these up awhile back as a BGN lens from KEH and it was pristine. (the 135/2.8) Hopefully mine will be a good copy. BGN lenses from KEH have a great reputation around here.

11. SeeNoEvil

SeeNoEvil

Jul 1, 2008
    Bay Area
    congrats on the lenses. i picked up a very good copy of the 80-200 f4 from a local shop as my "low cost alternative" to an f2.8 telephoto. although not my shooting style (telephoto style) and still taking some getting used to (manual focus telephoto), i couldn't be happier with the lens.

12. My 135 AIS from KEH was in mint condition (rated as BGN). My 200mm AIS was a bit beat up, but clean glass. The total for both of them was about $200.

13. Adkid

Adkid

Jan 3, 2009
    Portland
    I like the 135/2DC. Since I'm shooting DX, the focal length is kind of awkward for portraits, but I'm sure it'll be great when I get a D700. To be honest, I haven't even played around much with the DC feature. The lens give pretty darn good Bokeh without messing with the DC.

14. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    They're heeeeerreeeeee. :smile:

The 135/2.8 AIS has perfectly clean and flawless glass. The body is also clean but the hood has a minor dent, a surface blemish, and a bit of dust/gunk built up on the inside lip of the hood only.

The 80-200/4 AIS has a perfect body as far as I can tell and the optics are clean aside from one minor blemish on the outer edge of the front element. It probably makes no difference in image quality.

If anybody wants to see actual photos of the lenses I'll try to get some up, but I'll definitely post some samples within the next few days. The 135 seems sharp wide open. The 80-200/4 does too, but looks like it might have a fair bit of green color fringing wide-open in contrasty scenes. Will put them both through their paces. :smile:

15. I had a BGN one of the 135mm and it looked pretty much LN to me.

16. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    [​IMG]

These things are sharp sharp sharp! They're as sharp as I can focus them pretty much. If I'm dead on, they're as sharp as anything I've got! Very nice! I wasn't too sure about the 80-200/4 but man I think I really like it! Did manage to get a bunch of test photos with both and they perform great. Very pleased. :smile:

17. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Here's a better shot of the 135. You can see the marks on the hood, and there's a small ding on the other side. That's it. Body and glass are flawless.

[​IMG]
    taken by the 80-200/4 AIS @ f/5.6

And a closer shot of the 80-200 f/4 AIS. Actually the marks on the front element were just hand grease. Came out with a lens pen! :tongue: All I could see beyond that is just a few tiny specks of dust on one of the inner elements and that's it. Otherwise it's seriously mint.

[​IMG]
    taken by the 135/2.8 AIS @ f/5.6

18. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    80-200mm f/4 @ 200mm

f/4
    [​IMG]

f/5.6
    [​IMG]

f/5.6
    [​IMG]

f/4
    [​IMG]

135/2.8 AIS

f/2.8
    [​IMG]

f/5.6
    [​IMG]

f/2.8 (sorry for the food shot, only sharp one I got of her at 2.8 lol)
    [​IMG]

19. Looks like you've got some great glass for a great price.

20. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    Man, I'll have to see if they've got anymore of those 135s, I currently have an off brand 135 2.8, which I thought was ok, but that blows it out of the water. And yes, KEH is a dangerous place, bought two flashes from them , both listed as BGN condition, I would've rated one as good/ excellent, and the other as like new for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.