National 2011 Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, DC

Any thoughts on parking early in the morning to get sunrise shots? I had planned on parking in the East Potomac lot, but that now looks like it won't be available. I can always take metro, it's just that sometimes driving is easier that early in the morning.

Any thoughts on parking early in the morning to get sunrise shots? I had planned on parking in the East Potomac lot, but that now looks like it won't be available. I can always take metro, it's just that sometimes driving is easier that early in the morning.

With the parking restrictions on both West and East Potomac Park, there isn't anywhere else that I can think of where you would be able to park. Metro now looks like the only option.

With the parking restrictions on both West and East Potomac Park, there isn't anywhere else that I can think of where you would be able to park. Metro now looks like the only option.

So where are the people from out of town supposed to park? I have always gotten there by 5:30 and parked in the East Potomac Parking lot. I guess they want more gridlock as there are so many people that usually park there, and they will have to be turned around to hunt for parking elsewhere in the area. I was thinking of coming down on Sunday, but not if there isn't any parking available.

Since the weather was so bad this morning, I decided not to go in, but I'm thinking of going tomorrow morning. I'd avoid Sunday since I believe the 10 Mile Race is then, and that will really cause traffic problems. I'll probalm take Metro, although I'm wondering if the parking restrictions still apply on the weekend.

Colin

So where are the people from out of town supposed to park? I have always gotten there by 5:30 and parked in the East Potomac Parking lot. I guess they want more gridlock as there are so many people that usually park there, and they will have to be turned around to hunt for parking elsewhere in the area. I was thinking of coming down on Sunday, but not if there isn't any parking available.

That is one of the problems with DC, they don't care about people from out of town finding parking. They want everyone to take Metro.

Though, in this case it's federal property and not the 'city's property', though I can't figure out why they made the parking rules this way for these areas. That might be a good thing to bring up with your local members of Congress.

There isn't any other place to park near there. If you are driving, you are probably better off parking at one of the Metro parking facilities and then taking the Metro to the Smithsonian Metro and walking from there. Union Station has a large parking garage (the entrance is off of H St NE). Of course, the price to pay or parking anywhere in DC is usually not cheap.

I'll probalm take Metro, although I'm wondering if the parking restrictions still apply on the weekend.

Colin

The parking restrictions are for every day as the signs don't list them being in effect for only certain days. I also didn't see anything mentioned anywhere that said they may relax them during the cherry blossom festival.

That is one of the problems with DC, they don't care about people from out of town finding parking. They want everyone to take Metro.

Though, in this case it's federal property and not the 'city's property', though I can't figure out why they made the parking rules this way for these areas. That might be a good thing to bring up with your local members of Congress.

There isn't any other place to park near there. If you are driving, you are probably better off parking at one of the Metro parking facilities and then taking the Metro to the Smithsonian Metro and walking from there. Union Station has a large parking garage (the entrance is off of H St NE). Of course, the price to pay or parking anywhere in DC is usually not cheap.

I don't really care who the land belongs to, the parking policy is ridiculous. If anything, they should provide remote parking lots with free shuttle service if they want to eliminate people using the existing parking areas near the tidal basin. I'd rather just stay away. I already have to leave Philly at 3 a.m. to be there and set up in time for sunrise. I'm not leaving any earlier just so I can park elsewhere and then take the Metro. Over the last three years, I've enjoyed meeting up with other members there that I don't get to see that often, but now they have made it to too much of an effort for a few hours of enjoyment.

The Philadelphia Cherry Blossom Festival is being held at the Philadelphia Horticultural Center next weekend (April 10th) and I'll be satisfied to just do that this year. It is not as big as the D.C. festival, but parking is not an issue and it is less crowded. Last year the tidal basin was mobbed even before sunrise on Saturday morning and I hope that was only because that was Easter weekend.

I don't really care who the land belongs to, the parking policy is ridiculous. If anything, they should provide remote parking lots with free shuttle service if they want to eliminate people using the existing parking areas near the tidal basin. I'd rather just stay away. I already have to leave Philly at 3 a.m. to be there and set up in time for sunrise. I'm not leaving any earlier just so I can park elsewhere and then take the Metro. Over the last three years, I've enjoyed meeting up with other members there that I don't get to see that often, but now they have made it to too much of an effort for a few hours of enjoyment.

Last year the tidal basin was mobbed even before sunrise on Saturday morning and I hope that was only because that was Easter weekend.

I agree, the parking policy is ridiculous. Even if it wasn't open until sunrise I could understand the Park Police's theory on that, but making it 9 a.m. the earliest you can park there? I can just imagine the lame reason for making the time so late in the morning.

It really does make it hard for anyone wanting to do a sunrise shoot, which for us photographers that is what we are always looking to do.

DC parking is a pain near the monuments and Federal buildings, but they have their reasons.

Basically the parking policy keeps people from camping out in their cars overnight etc. Also takes care of long term unattended vehicles. They also actively tow the major streets before rush hour - tightly synchronized tow truck ballet. As a prior DC commuter I'm all for it.

Metro is very convenient, but it almost requires that you buy an indiscreet camera bag. Of course, there's not much hiding a tripod.

Metro is very convenient, but it almost requires that you buy an indiscreet camera bag. Of course, there's not much hiding a tripod.

I would be more careful riding a Metro bus, but riding the Metro rail system in the heart of the city is pretty safe.

Latest threads

Top Bottom