National Air Force Museum in Dayton OH

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by pirahnah3, Sep 6, 2008.

1. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
  2. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting these. I followed your link to the gallery, this museum has been on my list to see for years, I have bumped it up higher on the list now.

I have been having the same problems you have. Here are a few of the things that have helped me. Your EXIF omits ISO completely, do you remember what you shot the handheld and the tripod shots at? The handheld shots are noisy and not quite sharp, and that is no surprise given the conditions. I have found I can improve my handheld shots considerably by using the shutter delay, it eliminates the tilting movement from pushing the shutter down. Your WB is off on all your handheld shots, it is too warm, I don't know if you can fix that when you shoot JPEG, I would shoot raw for the extra control you get after you get home.

Like you said in your reply to my post in the Museum of Flight thread, the tripod helps a lot. I am not sure you need to go as high as f22 on the tripod shots, but I would have to read up to give you a sure answer on that. DId you use shutter delay or remote release with the tripod? if not you should at least use shutter delay.

I have the 70-300 you wish for, don't ever take it as an only lens, you will find it is much too long. You may find the 18-200 VR would be a better bet, the range is hard to beat, and the VR would make a huge difference for the handheld shots, like you have in you Dayton gallery.

You are on the right path, you identified a problem and returned with the tripod that improved your shots.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    Thanks for the reply, i think i had the white ballance set to sunny and i think i had the ISO at 200 BUT all the pictures have bene lightened using picassa to help bring out some of the details, taking that out there not as nice as they look now. I used the F22 just cause i had the tripod and with an exposure that long no people would show up in the pic.

As for the tripod hots, yes i borroed my friends remote for the camera, Ill be getting one for my own soon lol.

As far as the lense, im looking at it not as my only but as my good telephoto lense, im looking to sell my 18-70 for the new 18-105 VR

4. Cima2oo7

Cima2oo7

Aug 11, 2007
    Mountain Home, ID
    Mark
    The Air Force Museum here is VERY nice and I would highly recommend anyone who is into aviation take a visit. I haven't been in years and am due to go back.

Very nice pictures!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.