National Geographic State Field Guides to Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Panos Kazanelis, Mar 22, 2005.

1. National Geographic State Field Guides to Birds for those who are interested, which is most of you I guess... :D
    link to National Geographic web site
    I thought you would like that...
    These handy, informative pocket-sized guides are an essential resource for the novice or experienced birder. The first two guides in this regional series focus on America's most popular birding hotspots: California and Florida.
    [​IMG]
    Featuring 200 specimens each, the guides group birds by family rather than alphabetically, as approved by the American Ornithological Association. A quick-reference alphabetical guide on the inside cover provides an easy way to find a name quickly.

Each entry has a vivid photograph showing the bird in its native habitat. On the facing page, a list of bulleted points confirms at a glance the bird's identity. These field ID clues note the bird's size, color, beak and wing shape, markings, song, flight pattern, habitat, and hotspots in which to find them. Special field facts highlighted at the bottom of each entry give additional information about what to look for in the bird's behavior, and detailed maps show the range of each bird's habitat. With a comprehensive index including life list, these user-friendly guides will quickly become favorite companions on the track to lifelong birding. 252 pages. 200 photographs and art pieces. 125 maps. Softcover. 4'' x 6''. © 2005

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Panos,

I will have a look see at these.

Gale

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Panos -

These state guides could be really good. Only one problem. If they publish the states in order of interesting birds, I'm going to be waiting a long time for PA. :( I gotta get out of state to find lots of birds. This is one more reason to be jealous of everyone else.

Gordon

4. Somehow I know how you feel... although I'm not a birdlover -but I might be turning into one, with all these birders in here- I very much doubt it that NGS will ever have a Birds Guide for Greece or any other place in Europe... I have to stick tolocal guides I guess... :?

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Panos, excellent info (especially considering that it is coming from one who lives in Greece....;-)).

Unlike Gordon's native PA, we have our share of interesting birds in Alabama, but more importantly, we live right next to Florida. :D

Regards,

Frank