National Geographic - Vanishing Sea Ice

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Bandnuts, Jun 28, 2007.

1. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with a gentleman named Paul Nicklen. Paul is a photographer for Nat Geo and one of the projects he's been working on has taken him under the Artic Ocean. He said he'd been working a project for 2-3 months out of every year for the past 10 YEARS....

I thought the story was amazing and his dedication was even more impressive. After that long in the Artic, you'd expect a lot of great tales.

One of his photos this one was taken after he'd already been in the water so long he could not move. His helpers had him out and were trying to get him back into a condition where he could even sit up. This rare bowhead whale came close and the only way he could get the shot was to go back into the water. Since he couldn't move, his helpers simply PUSHED him back in and pointed him at the whale so he could click his shutter and work the camera....

I thought I pass this on as I thought his dedication was something true to the subject and his love for his work was hard to match... By the way, he measured his camera equipment (Nikon and Canon) in pounds. When I asked what type of gear he had, he said both Nikon and Canon, about 1400 pounds worth, not including electronics and computers.....

Article is HERE

Gallery is HERE

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow
    Amazing
    Thanks for sharing.
    He has got to love what he is doing to endure this.

3. Great article and images.

Thanks.

4. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Amazing, thanks.

DAB

5. great images, boy, that 'Bear Scare' (pic #20) would scare the pants off me...

6. His dedication to bringing these photos to us is greatly appreciated. They're truly beautiful! What a great article - thankyou for bringing this to our attention.

7. Be sure to click the On Assignment link there on the left - gives you an idea of how much time is spent waiting, waiting, waiting for shots. Micklen grew up in the Arctic so he is very attuned to those environs. He also shot the NG story about leopard seals a few months ago that was unreal; I would have crapped my wetsuit being in the water with those creatures.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wait till Doug Barber compiles his year of adventure.
    wow that will blow us away I do believe.

This fellow in those articles is great.
    Images are fantastic.

9. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    Paul Nicklen covers the polar regions like no one else. A masterful, artistic, and gifted photographer. His wildlife images are more than fine portraits-they are fine art.

10. Eddy DL

Eddy DL Guest

Talking about dedication. Thanks for sharing.

11. wonderful photos and great story too