National Graphic Supply

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Jul 5, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    www.ngscorp.com

Has anybody ever bought used lenses from them? How are they?

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Interesting selection... seems like a lot of pretty worn gear. I'll have to give them a call about their D1H's

3. Their rating system is not very confidence inspiring given that marks on lens elements would still get a lens a Good or VGood rating?!
    Also be careful about what they include with the item, it seems that if they don't say batt/charger included, the camera will not come with a charger and batteries.

some very good deals though but I'm a bit weary.

4. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    I bought a 70-200VR from them but it did not work out so I returned it without any problems. The service is great. You can give them a try and you can always return it if there's a problem.

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    KEH's rating system isn't all that great either. Several of us have had BGN lenses that turn out to be essentially brand spankin' new. My 70-210 was marked UGLY for $39, and it looks like it was fresh out of the box. Not a single mark on the lens.

6. wow these prices are amazing. i think i'll pick me up a 17-35 or maybe an 80-200... or maybe a 300 f/4... hmmmm... bookmarked.

can you see minor amounts of dust in images from dusty lenses? what about scratches?

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've had dusty lenses before and only in the most extreme cases with the lens stopped all the way down was I ever able to see any of the dust in the image. I wouldn't think twice about getting a dusty lens if the price were right.

8. great, thanks so much. i think i might take this early rent money and buy some new glass :)

9. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Tell my landlord that I wanted a D1H and my rent will be about 2 weeks late. :biggrin: thanks!

10. $50-100 to clean them up at a professional shop anyways :smile:, think of the savings.

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Where are these pro shops you speak of that will do dust cleaning? My pro shop wants me to pay to send it out somewhere just to get it looked at. I'd love it if I could just send it directly somewhere without going through a middleman.