Nationals photo's really subpar

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by ofd678, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ofd678

ofd678

Aug 12, 2007
    Glenwood
    I went to the USSSA girl's fastpitch Nationals (120 plus teams) this past week near Kansas City, MO. A company took a zillion shots the first day, then printed and sold the next. I was excited to see the work, hoping for a Mike Mac or Alex type of shots. What I seen was basically very poor photography with a nice border around it.

Is it typical at these events to just to put out some pictures for sale or do they look to get any amazing shots? I know it would be difficult to really get perfect shots for each team, but the ones I seen could have been taken by any average person.

2. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    In their defense(without seeing the photos), on-site printers shooting tournaments that large probably don't have time to do much, if any, editing or PP. Photos that you, or I, would delete, may still get printed, and put on the table. There are probably some great shots in there, you just have more to sort through.

Compare that to what you see here. We go and shoot a few hundred shots at an event. We then hand pick the best few, tweak them to get them perfect, and then showcase them.

Just my .02. I'm sure Alex, Mike, Gary, or others will have a better explanation. :biggrin:

3. ofd678

ofd678

Aug 12, 2007
    Glenwood
    photo's

I do understand that and realize that they have to produce so many pictures to try and turn a profit. So I see all the mistakes and uncropped photo's. But still, I really did expect something better. They did have a nice border and people were buying them, so it is good for them. We had about 300 shots of our game and they were basically just shots of girls in batter boxes, catchers and pitchers. The backgrounds weren't blurred nicely, just a regular picture.

The guy shooting our game had a d70 with some type of push/pull lens. I talked to him a bit and I was complaining about the clouds. he suggested that I use shutter priority on my D200 and shoot for around 1/700. That is about the opposite of what I have learned from here. I shoot in Aperature priority and increase the ISO to keep up the speeds.

I have read many of Mike Mac's post on how he covers the tournaments and see his shots, I guess he is just like years ahead.

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Same here. :biggrin:

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow ... there's some solid advise ... LMAO ..... i guess it holds true that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself ...

6. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    ssshhhh, no giving away trade secrets !!