Native Orchids (Image heavy)

As we're now in the start of spring, the native orchids are becoming plentiful, both in numbers and varieties. Hopefully today we'll get some reprieve from our stage 4 lockdown and be able to travel further than 5km from home. There are so many varieties of orchids, and birds which we don't get in our local reserves. It will be great to go outside our 5km bubble which we've been in for the past 6 weeks.

Yesterday was cold, wet, and windy when I was photographing many of these orchids. It must be funny watching me as I'm like a one armed paperhanger trying to juggle the camera and umbrella, while waiting for the breeze to calm for a moment so I can get a photo.

#1 Red-beaks (Pyrorchis nigricans)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Donkey Orchid (Diuris orientis) Not so common plain colour

#3 Donkey Orchid (Diuris orientis) Normal colouring

#4 White Fingers (Caladenia catenata) Always nice to see multiple flowers on the one stem

#5 White Fingers (Caladenia catenata)

#6 Wax-lip Orchid (Caladenia major) With not so common double flower on the one stem at the front of this group

#7 Wax-lip Orchid (Caladenia major) They come in many shades of purple

#8 Wax-lip Orchid (Caladenia major) Not so common plain white variety

#9 Wax-lip Orchid (Caladenia major) The flowers are sometimes smaller

#10 Hare Orchid (Leptoceras menziesii)

#11 Tiny Fingers (Caladenia pusilla) These are very small, and only last a few days as they self pollenate

#12 Blunt Greenhood (Pterostylis curta)

#13 Common Bird Orchid (Chiloglottis valida) These also vary in colour

#14 Common Bird Orchid (Chiloglottis valida)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Wow! What a set of images! I always look forward to your posts! Such variety! Do you mind reminding me of your gear....camera body, lens, settings, flash?, etc? Also, are you busy next spring? Perhaps we should pay you a visit!
:p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! What a set of images! I always look forward to your posts! Such variety! Do you mind reminding me of your gear....camera body, lens, settings, flash?, etc? Also, are you busy next spring? Perhaps we should pay you a visit!
:p

Thank you Karen

You are most welcome to visit if you're ever downunder. October thru November would probably be the best months for native orchids, but there are plenty of others things to see and photograph, particularly if you're also into birding and/or land/seascapes. One of the reasons I got into native orchids is, there are varieties in flower all year round near where we live. It gets me out in the bush whenever I feel like it, and gives me something to look for. :)

For the Native orchids I use an Olympus E-M1 MKII with 60mm macro. The majority of the images are focus stacks. No flash, just natural lighting. The hardest one from the above set was #11 Tiny Fingers. That is only a single image. The flowers were under a canopy of trees, hence there is no water on them, but the breeze and low light was making photographing them rather difficult. That is one where using a flash would've been handy.

For birding I use Nikon, land and seascapes Fuji or Nikon. And for holidays and general walkabout photography Fuji. The reason I use a variety of brands is purely based on functionality and user experience.

Fantastic flowers, Richard. I really enjoy your sterling photographs.

I can identify with your difficulties with rain and wind, though I never bother with an umbrella.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fantastic flowers, Richard. I really enjoy your sterling photographs.

I can identify with your difficulties with rain and wind, though I never bother with an umbrella.
Thank you Jim

I enjoy photographing when its been raining, so long as its not too windy. Although most of my camera gear is weather sealed, I prefer not to test it. Plus the umbrella offers a wind break at times.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom