Natural Bridge, VA

We recently visited the Natural Bridge in Virginia. We were nearly stranded by Hurricane Katrina during our last visit; but this time, the weather was beautiful, extremely hot and very very dry. The area is experiencing an extended drought. The water table was almost 5 feet below our last visit!!

There are 147 steps leading to the entrance to the Natural Bridge. The remnants of an ancient arbor vitae tree grace the landscape.

Ancient Arbor Vitae Tree - This tree died in 1980, it was over 1600 years old!!

large.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Approaching the Natural Bridge. U.S. Route 11 passes over the bridge. It is hidden by trees and fences from above:
View attachment 231411

Inside the Bridge:
View attachment 231412

View from the other side of the bridge:
View attachment 231413

very nice, I like how you got the people in the pic to show the scale...we were nearby at the Virgina Safari Park this spring, but my b-in-law didn't think this was worth going to...next trip!

Crystall,

Very nice! I keep on meaning to plan a visit...

Thank you Kristin. I'm glad we returned for a second visit. Shame about the drought though, the stream was full of fish, but they couldn't move around. The guide said that they might have to rescue them somehow.

crystall,
that must be some cool place
nice shots
thanks for sharing these with us

Thank you Greg. It really is worth a one day trip. I really tried to capture the scale of the bridge this trip. I didn't visit the working Native American village because it was too hot. Maybe next time.

love the petrified tree - looks like a great place to take pictures.

Thank you. I spent a lot of time at the tree. There are a few arbor vitae along the steps. This one has an informational plague nearby. It looks like it has a new sprout (hopefully) from another tree. Time will tell.

I enjoyed our visit, but I prefer to limit it to one day. We visited Chincoteague after the bridge. I plan to spend my next vacation there.

very nice, I like how you got the people in the pic to show the scale...we were nearby at the Virgina Safari Park this spring, but my b-in-law didn't think this was worth going to...next trip!

Thank you. I tried to wait for the guided tour to move forward so that I could include a few of them in the images. We spent about 90 minutes wandering about the bridge and stream. I wanted to visit the Safari Park but I was out-voted. :tongue:

This brings back very special memories - 36 yrs. ago on our honeymoon! We got married in Baltimore (living there at that time) and this was one of our first stops the next day. Thanks for the memories!! This year it will be Cheyenne Canyon Park in Colorado Springs and a ride on the Manitou Cog Railway up Pikes Peak . . .

Nice shots, Crystall! Funny: I was there on Monday, passing through. The lighting situation is somewhat tricky, you mastered it very well.

Lovely series Crystall. I wanted to stop by here after my honeymoon this past May but didn't stop on the drive through. Maybe the next time I go back to VA I make it a point to go there. Your shots have inspired me to visit sometime.

God Bless,
David

Been there quite a few times...

It is a great place to visit..

I have not been there for a couple of years or so, but it is always very pretty. I am sure the fall is the best time to go, when the leaves change.

Very nice series of pictures Crystal.

(Did you try the buffet in the restaurant of the hotel there?.. I understand people travel for many miles just to go to it.)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom