Natural light kids shots playing with DOF

Discussion in 'People' started by Chris_B, May 28, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    While sitting on the couch with my 2 year old this morning, I noticed that the light from the window was nice so I grabbed my camera. With my D200 and 85 1.8, I started snapping. Nothing too great but they are cut kid shots :biggrin:.

Here is f/1.8 & 1/500. Very dramatic focus drop off.

Here is a similar shot at f/2.8 & 1/200. Much sharper where it counts.
    View attachment 98083

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Treasured pics for you

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Gale. Which style do you like better? I know that they are not great shots in themselves but I would like to practice getting better at semi-artistic shots of my kids like Grame and Ottrott's Human (Stuart). If I can get half as good as those guys, I will be happy.

4. Definitely #2 for me... He's got beautiful eyes, and this photos really captures them!

5. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Keith. I really have not played much with candid portraits. I would like to get close to you guys and need to develop the "eye" for artistic shots. My little experiment showed me the difficulty of getting f/1.8 shots.

Do you guys mostly shoot around f/2.8-4 or do you go with bigger apertures?

6. Gotta go with #2. #1 DOF a little shallow for me. I guess it has it's place, but I like both eyes in focus (that's just me though). It's very subjective. Both great images though. You just have to love those eyes.

Well done.