Nature always finds a way,

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nature always finds a way, these aren't the best shots and I would normally not post them, but the sequence is rather unique,

D300 and 200-400 with 1.4TC, ISO 1600, early morning poor light,

Tim O and I were out (we had a great morning, lots of images) and this Egret came by and started acting like a harrier hawk, or a kestral falcon. It was hovering and hovering (I mean like a minute) right over the water, working so hard and then bam, he dropped down and speared a fish and then flew off.

Tim and I have seen quite a few egrets in our days as shooters, and we have seen a few dives and jumps and dropping in, but we had never seen such a long long hover for fish, so much energy.

got back home, and we saw the reason why, hard to walk with one leg, so he adapted his technique.

The hover, you should have heard our machine guns firing, I filled the buffer several times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spear from hover:

I MISSED IT! It was quite unique since only his head was in the water as he hovered, with huge powerful flaps like a slow motion heavy duty harrier! amazing, maybe Tim O has a pic? I lost focus and they were all blurs.

the fly away:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Marina

Marina Guest

It's "Egret Lake" ballet! Good set of shots!

3. truley amazing

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Cools sequence Wade.
    Mother nature is pretty resilient.

5. I see several GBH with Deformities and messed up Legs, Feet and Wings and They Adapt to their handicap and Most time Find ways to Survive!!

Nice Documentry Images!!

6. Great set, and story, Wade. This bird certainly has adapted, and must have very strong wing muscles.

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice series....yep always better to be predator than prey:)

8. Wow, what a sequence Wade!

9. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Wouldn't you know it these were the shots I lost while trying to get them all uploaded:redface:but at least you got them:wink:Think I will try again in the morning very nice series my friend:smile:

10. WOW! Amazing photos! I bet that was something to see and watch! Beautiful series!