1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

nature as a backdrop

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by hudsongirl, Aug 5, 2009.

1. my best friend was visiting recently from her now-home in the big city (toronto). she asked me to take some photos of her to take back to her city friends that showcased her wild-country roots - of course i was happy to oblige. we headed down to a place we used to swim as kids, here are a few of the results. i did play with the colour a little, just for fun.

DSC_0914_3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0928.jpg

DSC_0923_2.jpg

DSC_0954_2.jpg

thanks for looking!

2. Malania

Malania

Jun 6, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Very nicely done!

3. Paintguru

Paintguru

Dec 28, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I like #4. #1 to me has too blown out of a backlight for me.

4. SCRacer

SCRacer

Apr 12, 2006
    Iowa
    I like #2 & #4. I agree with pp on #1. The color looks off.

5. thanks for the comments, #4 is my favourite too. i agree with the comments on the blown out background in #1, the sun was just beginning to set and definitely caused some difficulties. SO much to learn!

6. the Pond

the Pond

Jan 5, 2007
    Canada
    Nice job Nicole. In terms of the first shot you could have also utilized your pop up flash to kill some of the ambient and/or it would look really good with a curves adjustment in p.shop to de-emphasize the highlights.

7. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    When I saw the first pic I knew it was shot with a D80.

Tip: Turn exposure down to -1 as soon you walk out the door and shoot in raw.
    Settings: colour 1a and saturation +

The shots are great but the camera overexposes.

8. could you really tell right away they were taken with a d80? i usually under expose to compensate, i know there is a way to turn down the exposure but i can't figure out how to do it. i also did use a flash but i must've had it turned down too low to balance out the backlighting (sb-600). thanks for the tips everyone.

9. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Usually in this situation I put the camera in A-mode, set camera at -0.7 or -1.0.
    Set the flash in TTL mode and also underexpose -1.0.

3822953250_1cafcc0155_b.png

This way the camera takes care of the background and the flash takes care of the model.

10. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Pretty shots!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.