nature as a backdrop

smack in the middle of no-where, Ontario Canada
my best friend was visiting recently from her now-home in the big city (toronto). she asked me to take some photos of her to take back to her city friends that showcased her wild-country roots - of course i was happy to oblige. we headed down to a place we used to swim as kids, here are a few of the results. i did play with the colour a little, just for fun.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

thanks for looking!

Nice job Nicole. In terms of the first shot you could have also utilized your pop up flash to kill some of the ambient and/or it would look really good with a curves adjustment in p.shop to de-emphasize the highlights.

When I saw the first pic I knew it was shot with a D80.

Tip: Turn exposure down to -1 as soon you walk out the door and shoot in raw.
Settings: colour 1a and saturation +

The shots are great but the camera overexposes.

smack in the middle of no-where, Ontario Canada
could you really tell right away they were taken with a d80? i usually under expose to compensate, i know there is a way to turn down the exposure but i can't figure out how to do it. i also did use a flash but i must've had it turned down too low to balance out the backlighting (sb-600). thanks for the tips everyone.

Usually in this situation I put the camera in A-mode, set camera at -0.7 or -1.0.
Set the flash in TTL mode and also underexpose -1.0.

This way the camera takes care of the background and the flash takes care of the model.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom