NC Zoo Visit

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DavidM, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Last week I took a trip to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro, and had a great time walking around and viewing the wildlife and exhibits there. If you ever have the chance to go, you should. Definitely one of the better zoos that I've been to (OK, I'm biased). The exhibits are laid out well and the animals have lots of freedom of movement.

Lots of things to see there, and if you care to look I have a sampling of some of the animals here: Zoo Pics.

For those not wanting to follow the link, here's a few that caught my eye...

I don't normally get excited about pigeons as potential photographic targets, but these long-term residents at the zoo are definitely an exception (Victoria Crowned Pigeon):
    original.

This Elf Owl wasn't active in the middle of the day, and he purposefully chose a secluded spot to spend the afternoon. Decided to give it a try anyway...
    View attachment 91145

This Sunbittern seemed to be quite comfortable in his resting space:
    View attachment 91146

The Elks were relaxing in the shade, and this one didn't seem to care much for being photographed:
    View attachment 91147

The "Relaxation Award" though should definitely go to the Polar Bears. I could have spent the entire visit watching them play -- when they weren't resting, of course.
    View attachment 91148
    View attachment 91149

There's lots more there than I've shown here. If any of you local folks (or anyone else for that matter) want to meet at the zoo for a visit, let me know! I will definitely be going back soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Aww very nice David
    Good to see ya and glad to see you out shooting

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Love that first polar bear shot.

4. A nice group of shots. I also enjoy the North Carolina Zoo. As you said, it gives many of the animals lots of room to roam in a fairly natural fashion. It is a long walk, from end to end, but well worth it. The only hassle for we photographers, is the many exhibits with animals behind filthy glass.

5. Absolutely right on the relaxation issue. The polar bears are really chilling out. Great images.

6. nice work David, especially the last 3
    I am there at least once a month starting this month so email me if u wanna meet sometime

7. Thanks, Gale. It was good to get out with camera in hand again. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Harry! That particular bear was very interactive with a bunch of kids that were viewing him through the glass. He seemed to love the attention and they loved giving it to him.

The glass (and fencing) can definitely be a problem at times. I'm sure it's hard to keep it clean with all the hands, shoes, etc. that touch it constantly throughout the day.

I saw someone that looks an awful lot like your avatar at the zoo that day; were you there on the 12th by any chance?

Thanks Sam!

8. Thanks Randy! It would be great to meet you there sometime -- just let me know when you're planning to head there and I'll see if I can make it.

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Love that relaxed polar bear (#5). Great capture!

10. Hey, Guys. I might also like to join you at the zoo. Let me know when you are heading that way.

11. I didn't notice this response, before my last reply; or, I could have responded in one reply. Anyway, I wish that was me at the zoo, on the 12th, instead of spending the day at work, presiding over yet another of a seemingly endless procession of auto accident cases. I guess that you must have seen one of my many look-alikes.

12. Nice shots David. That is a different kind of pidgeon I ever saw.

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Cool....I'm glad to see these great shots. I'm taking my kids there on Friday. This is a nice sneak peek!

14. Gadget, check the link to the other shots. There's a few others there of the polar bears.

Must have been...

There's enough reasonably local folks at the Cafe that we might be able to get a handful of people interested.

Hey Melissa - that pidgeon is quite impressive. Jerks his head around a lot, so it's not always convenient to get a sharp picture (especially with 100 people milling around you). You really have to see these in person to appreciate them -- the "crown" feathers are incredible.

Thanks Stuart. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you -- mostly cloudy, but as you know that can sometimes be a good thing for photos (if you'll be carrying that day).

Unless I'm mistaken the elephants and rhinos are off limits until 2008, but I believe pretty much everything else is out and about over there. I was very surprised to see that they're letting the lion cubs out now with their parents -- they're a lot of fun to see and I'm sure the kids will love them too. "Tort" and "Retort" (tortoises) were also a big hit with the kids the day I was there.

When you get there, ask the staff what times the polar bears are most active; it's fascinating to watch such large creatures playing the way they do.

I have no doubt you'll come home tired but happy...

15. David, love the swimming polar bear!

16. Thanks Daniel! They are a lot of fun to watch, aren't they? I believe the two at this zoo were rescued from another zoo that closed, and they weren't particularly well-treated at the other place. It took a while for them to get acclimated here, but apparently they are now quite comfortable in their new home. They sure seemed that way from what I could see.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    David who?? I once knew a photographer (who was also a world-class keyboard player) named DavidM. OH!! It's you!! :biggrin:

Nice to see you posting some birdies David. We have a few folks that are thinking of getting together at St. Augustine to shoot at the Alligator Farm in the next month or so. I would love for you to join us. :smile:

18. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Very nice set. Love the saturation on Bear #1.

19. Thanks, Frank! It's great to have the opportunity to post some for a change. Might even have a few more in the next couple of days... you never know. Please keep me informed when plans firm up for St. Augustine.

Thanks Jeff. I seem to go through cycles of too much/too little saturation (as my moods change). Lately I've been experimenting with LAB after reading Dan Margulis' book (PhotoShop LAB Color/The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace) and am leaning toward a bit more saturation than I have in the past, mostly because I like the way LAB contrast changes seem to hold hue more accurately that way.