NC10: how do I wipe my drive and reload windows?

My nc10 netbook is infected with numerous viruses, and while Microsoft Security Essentials has been identifying and removing them, they keep cropping up. Now it appears some components of Windows have been corrupted. Can anyone walk me through reformatting my drive and reinstalling windows?

Note: I don't have a cd drive or window disks, but there is a D drive with unidentifiable stuff on it.

Did you create a windows repair disk/USB for it? Do you have access to another computer so you can create one? Do you have any manuals that came with the netbook that might tell how? When you boot the netbook is there a screen that will let you hit any 'F' keys before it fully boots to windows?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You netbook should have come with instructions on how to do this. There are several possibilities. Either a DVD you have to ask for (you can use a cheap external DVD reader connected by USB cable), or a hidden partition containing the installation.

Ask the manufacturer.

Did you create a windows repair disk/USB for it? Do you have access to another computer so you can create one? Do you have any manuals that came with the netbook that might tell how? When you boot the netbook is there a screen that will let you hit any 'F' keys before it fully boots to windows?

I have access to my desktop, but can't find any manuals for the nc10. I'll check on the f keys, but we're headed down to LA, so it will be tomorrow.

Possibly the netbook came with a windows recovery partition on it.
Pressing a key combination on boot may allow you to boot to that partition and reinstall the OS and all components as if you bought it new.

A make and model number of the netbook would help.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I googled it for you and within a few minutes I have the answer for you. You are in luck, your machine has a recovery partition. This is what you do.

1. Power it off.
2. Power it on, with your finger waiting to press the F4 key.
3. The moment you see the Samsung screen, press F4.
4. Follow the recovery instructions.

All this will have been in the documentation that came with it.

Hope this helps.

My nc10 netbook is infected with numerous viruses, and while Microsoft Security Essentials has been identifying and removing them, they keep cropping up.....
While this will not help you with your reinstall it may just be useful for the future.

One reason that virus/malware keeps on cropping up again may be due to the fact that once removed from the main system they sit around biding their time in the System Restore folder just waiting for the opportunity to make a comeback :eek:. One way to guarantee they cannot return at least from internal storage is, once virus identified and removed delete System Restore points. You can then start System Restore when you know you have a clean system.
I am fairly sure that a re install will remove the old restore points completely so you should be on safe starting ground.

Once you have recovered your OS then I feel that you need more/better protection than MSE is offering you - i.e. arm yourself with a bigger hammer. I am making the assumption here that there is no fundamental difference between a Netbook, Notebook or Laptop system

I would suggest that you consider investing in a decent anti virus /anti spyware/ Firewall solution such as Kaspersky, BitDefender, McAffee and even the new Norton offerings (not the resource hog they once were) etc. You will need to check compatibility with your netbook i.e. it does not use up to much resources.

I also recommend that you install a couple of anti spyware programs such as Spybot and Malwarebytes - both are free to download and will help to keep your system clean. Both these programs need to be installed on a run on demand basis i.e. they must not be allowed to start when Windows starts. Therefore once installed you will need to go into the menu system of each application and disable auto start. It is important that you only have one Firewall, one antivirus antispyware application running concurrently. However you can run Spybot and/or Malwarebytes ocassionally as a further backup check. Why use 2 other programs that do the same job? Well sometimes malware slips through one or other without being recognised - the other application hopefully will pick it up.

For the truly paranoid or just as another check you may ocassionally want to run one of the free online check tools from the likes of Trend, Panda etc.

Might sound like a lot of work/trouble but it does not take too long to run other anti malware applications say once fortnightly. After saying all this I hope that Mac users don't read this post - you just know what will happen :wink::biggrin:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
TonyW - a netbook is not the same as a laptop. It is a cheap, small, feeble computer which doesn't have the power to run much. It can do email and a bit of web browsing. Heavier duty programs like you suggest are not a good idea.

The best suggestion you made is to install Malwarebytes, and run it now and again or when you need to. It complements MSE and is excellent at eliminating all kings of things you don't want.

Growltiger, thank you I am aware that a netbook is not the same as either a laptop or a notebook, at least as far as power computing goes. I referred to 'fundamental difference' meaning changes to OS or other tech differences I may not be aware of - as I do not own a netbook.

You suggest that heavier duty programs as in my post are not a good idea - you may or may not be correct! My view is the latter - is your opinion based on current versions i.e. post 2010? Is it based on personal experience of any particular one?

My view based on the experience of other colleagues in IT based industry suggests that at least the newer versions can work effectively with netbooks. At least one of these colleagues uses Norton 2011 and others McAffee - without much problem it appears.
To be sure you will likely get a 'hit' on speed but most of these are not the heavy resource hoggers seen in previous versions. My current favourite is Norton 2011 (PC and Laptop base). Prior to this and after Peter Norton sold to Symantec I would not touch Norton with a barge pole due to being so resource hungry

Other comments below from various sources testing the apps seem to suggest that these newer application versions are perfectly viable both with ancient PC's and Netbooks:

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010/2011
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 scored a 5.5 out of a possible 6.0 in AV-Test usability analysis. The small footprint and low false positive rating combines with the highest protection rate (94%) against new malware delivered via the Web and email. Norton Internet Security 2010 also scored well in overall prevention (5.5/6.0) as well as its ability to detect and remove existing malware (earning a 5.0 out of possible 6.0). No scanners received higher than 5.5. Norton Internet Security 2010 has not only eradicated the performance issues encountered in previous versions, it is raising the bar for all other antivirus as well.An ideal choice for any Windows-based PC and a near perfect option for older PCs and netbooks.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010/2011
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 earned a 5.5 in overall usability and performance tests conducted by AV-Test in 2Q10. With a 5.5 score on its ability to detect and remove existing infections, with a 5.0 in overall prevention, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 provides solid protection for older PCs and netbooks with no compromise in security or performance. Additionally, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 had one of the top averages (81%) in detecting and preventing new malware delivered via the Web and email.

McAfee Antivirus Plus
It is amongst the best antivirus for netbook, 2010.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4
Specialty of this antivirus is that protection is offered without users having to face system slowdowns

Immunet Protect
This is a cloud-based antivirus system which can be singly used for a computer, or to complement the existing security system.

Both Malwarebytes and Spybot should IMO be used. I can guarantee from personal experience that either one can miss sometimes and the other will usually pick up the stragglers.

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions. I'm visiting my grandbaby in S. Cal, and asked my son for help. Turns out it was just a matter of hitting f4 during bootup (good call, Douglas!), and then restoring to factory settings. The cab files were on the hard drive in a hidden directory, and the re-install took all of 10 minutes. I've downloaded firefox, and am using the netbook for this post. Yea! :)

Note: I'm not too worried about virus protection at this point. I only use the netbook for surfing, and have no programs or data on it. If I get infected again, I'll use a restore, as Tony has suggested, or a full restore to factory settings.

Glad to hear that you are up and running Frank :smile:.

I hope you do not mind particularly as you have not solicited opinion about virus protection and frankly it is none of my business how you decide to run your systems. But have you seriously considered the possible issues of not having any protection? As I am sure you are aware the major attacks virus, trojans etc come to you via Internet connection including surfing and email. To leave a system open without any protection is an open invitation imho and you can be sure you will be infected again.

While you can restore from your hidden partition in only a few minutes there is just a small chance that you are leaving yourself open to corruption unless you either have a recovery disk or a full OS disk - you are leaving yourself open to a system that cannot be revived without purchasing a new OS .

AFAIK at the moment at least it is unlikely that virus can jump to your hidden directory - but who knows if system holes are present that will allow this? One thing is certain the programmers of these nasty applications will find a way if at all possible.

So with respect I would urge you to reconsider your stance on protection

Cheers
Tony

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions. I'm visiting my grandbaby in S. Cal, and asked my son for help. Turns out it was just a matter of hitting f4 during bootup (good call, Douglas!), and then restoring to factory settings. The cab files were on the hard drive in a hidden directory, and the re-install took all of 10 minutes. I've downloaded firefox, and am using the netbook for this post. Yea! :)

Note: I'm not too worried about virus protection at this point. I only use the netbook for surfing, and have no programs or data on it. If I get infected again, I'll use a restore, as Tony has suggested, or a full restore to factory settings.

I figured one of those options should work Frank :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom