ND filters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DBrim, Jun 28, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'm looking to purchase one or two soon, because I've been in need of them. My question is which brand should I get? Tiffen is quite a bit cheaper than B+W or Hoya, but the latter two have higher f-stop reductions. Are there any other good companies that I'm missing? I'd be using these for water and other things (headlight trails at sunset/dusk, etc). Any ideas?

2. Why not go down the square filter route - then you only have to purchase different adaptor rings. You can stack them quite easily as well.

Lee are probably one of the better, Cokin are more affordable

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    absolutely, depends on budget, and size required. (1 and 2 look for the largest size you shoot, then get step down rings for other smaller lenses.) Example 77mm, then a step down ring from 77 to 72, or 67, etc...

1. Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter. Exxxxxpensive! But excelllllent! Allows you to move rim like a polarizer and dial in required density.

2. Heliopan, outstanding ND filter, one of the finest made at fixed stop. I really enjoyed mine.

3. Other thing to consider? are the "Graduated ND filters". This may be what you want for horizon shifts. But is generally less applicable and can be added later. Cokin P style are good for this, because they allow shifting of horizon with larger square glass/resin filters. Best ones are bar none, the Galen Rowell filters made by Singh-Ray, BEAUTIFUL filters.

4. Moose Peterson reverse Graduated ND filters. Don't ask, lol. (See Singh-Ray for examples)

Agree, the Lee is maybe a better ring system, the filters are a bit larger (4 X 6 I think?) but the filters are also more expensive than Cokin, plus with Cokin p style you can pick up budget Cokin filters for play too...

Cokin's P style holds both sprocket and square filters. not sure about Lee...

That concludes Filters 101. Your ready.

4. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Budget: nothing strictly defined. I'd say under $200 maybe.
    Size: 77mm

I saw the Vari-ND, but that's far out of my price league.

Graduated ND filters would be useful as well, but wouldn't be used enough to warrant the purchase at the moment.

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
  6. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    That's a pretty good price, but I'm not sure if three f-stops is enough. Then again, I could be misjudging the situation entirely.

7. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:I've got quite a collection of Cokin square filters and although they might not be the best quality, they do the job and are fairly inexpensive plus all you have to do is adapt the filter hold to whatever lense filter size you need.
    www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I've been quite pleased with my Tiffen, which is also color neutral. I have a 52mm 2-stop (0.6). Some of the other brands apparently shift the color temp around a bit which would require you to compensate, but I haven't seen that with my own two eyes. My 2-stop isn't quite enough for shooting sunrises or sunsets. A 3-stop would probably be juuuuust about right. I can still recover in PS and get a nearly perfect photo.

9. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I have a 6-stop ND filter and it's not enough for well-lit outdoors water shots. I have to stick my polarizer on to cut the light even further. Three stops will definitely not be enough for this.

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I may be misjudging Danial, I always get stops and the numbers confused on these things, I'll see what mine is tonight, it seems to be adequite, but I admit, sometimes I did layer with my polarizer what I had.