NDgrads ... S/E or H/E for full frame?

First post on the forum...I've pretty much decided that the D800 will be my next DSLR and I'm doing a little fact finding before I press the buy button.

I currently use a crop sensor Pentax K5 and have Lee NDgrads, despite some info suggesting that S/E NDgrads are best for landscapes I find on a crop sensor that the H/E graduation isn't anywhere near as obvious as you might think and therefore have only ever used the H/E for my shots. Having said this I read that H/E graduation will be more distinct on a FF, increasingly so the wider you get.

So to get to my question do people find that H/E Ndgrads are a little too obvious for use on general landscape shots on the D800 and therefore use S/E instead?

Thanks

Simon

I use both, but I actually use hard edge GNDs a lot more than I do soft edge. And this is from someone who shoots most of his landscapes with a 24mm or shorter lens.

I use both, but I actually use hard edge GNDs a lot more than I do soft edge. And this is from someone who shoots most of his landscapes with a 24mm or shorter lens.

Thanks for the reply, I'll see how I get on with just using the H/E ones then before considering buying the S/E

Simon

Soft edge is my most used, but this mainly depends on the subject and framing. If I have a prominent FG (like a tree) that crosses the horizon, the hard edge is a no-go.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think h/e vs s/e is a choice made independent of FX or DX format. Use what you are most comfortable with and that produces the results that satisfy you.

I think h/e vs s/e is a choice made independent of FX or DX format. Use what you are most comfortable with and that produces the results that satisfy you.

Thanks.. does this mean that there's no discernible difference between H/E and S/E grads when used on FF, even at UWA?

Simon

Real Name
Colin Carter
you really need both h/e and s/e to cover all bases and it makes no difference if you are shooting fx or dx, both are useful for different scenarios.

dont bother with the 1 stop (.3) versions they are next to useless.

you really need both h/e and s/e to cover all bases and it makes no difference if you are shooting fx or dx, both are useful for different scenarios.

dont bother with the 1 stop (.3) versions they are next to useless.

Thanks for the reply, main reason I asked the question is that I have the Lee 2/3 stop HE already and they work with all scenarios on my crop DSLR, I've never seen the need for SE grads as the graduation just isn't the obvious unless using too heavy a grad for the lighting levels.

Before buying the D800 I had read that on FF the graduation line on HE grads is more obvious, I'm guessing by the responses though that this isn't necessarily the case. Rather than spend cash on a couple of SE Lees that I won't use I'd rather put the cash towards another lens if possible

Simon

Real Name
Colin Carter
Thanks for the reply, main reason I asked the question is that I have the Lee 2/3 stop HE already and they work with all scenarios on my crop DSLR, I've never seen the need for SE grads as the graduation just isn't the obvious unless using too heavy a grad for the lighting levels.

Before buying the D800 I had read that on FF the graduation line on HE grads is more obvious, I'm guessing by the responses though that this isn't necessarily the case. Rather than spend cash on a couple of SE Lees that I won't use I'd rather put the cash towards another lens if possible

Simon

We all have different ways of using them,

I use the soft edge ones more than my hard edge ones for landscapes because i like the softer transition especially where there is something projecting into the sky on the horizon line, like a building, tree etc.

There is no right and wrong way, you just need to make up your own mind for any given scene which is why I bought a full set of both ( apart from the 1 stops).

We all have different ways of using them,

I use the soft edge ones more than my hard edge ones for landscapes because i like the softer transition especially where there is something projecting into the sky on the horizon line, like a building, tree etc.

There is no right and wrong way, you just need to make up your own mind for any given scene which is why I bought a full set of both ( apart from the 1 stops).

Hi Colin,

I realise there's no right and wrong way thanks, by the sound of things the HE are probably fine for my needs so I'll just stick with them until I find I'm having problems

Simon

I have a set of HE and SE rectangulars and find good uses for both. But the SE gets more use since most of my landscape compositions include a prominent subject protruding up and across the horizon. Here's a trick I learned from an old college prof...if you use a HE but want a softer transition, hand hold the filter and gently move it up and down to "feather" the transition. Of course this works better with longer exposures and takes a bit of practice.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom