Nearly am, but convince me!

OK, so for the first time in years I have an annual bonus that does not have to go on car repairs and MOT (UK) and the wife has said why not get a new camera!! :eek:

I have a Canon 550D and have been looking at the Nikon 7100 as a replacement, done all the research and am almost convinced to go for the 7100.
It's at the top of my price range so can what can you say to convince me to make the final step.

I shoot mainly landscape and street photos.

Also what would be a recommendation for a cheaper telezoom up to 300m for around £300 - new or second hand?

I have the Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR. It is at the top of your price range, but a decent lens. A good companion to it is the Nikon 16-85.

Don't do it!!! You need to know that owning a Nikon can be habit forming and can lead to the dreaded condition known as NAS! (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). :biggrin:

You've already got the first symptoms. 1st the new camera; then just an "affordable" zoom to go with it. By this time next year you could be dreaming about lenses that cost as much as a car.

Seriously - it sounds as though you're already convinced - so go ahead; pull the trigger.

What can the D7100 (I own) do that the 550D (my best mate owns) can't, if you're taking photos of anything moving fast I understand, but for landscapes and street shots the 550D is more than capable, why not buy better Canon lenses (70-200mmF4L), or even look to downsize to a more discreet camera like a Fuji X or M4/3?

I'm not sure how much Canon stuff the OP has, but having switched systems a few times myself I would generally say, don't bother unless you have a very good reason to.

Over time the differences tend to even out and it's not really as big as you might have expected.

Real Name
Randy
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
for some scenarios it may very well be the best DSLR

As you've seen, us bird heads love the D7100. But apparently it works well for a few other subjects too... not that I've really tried... :cool: :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom