Neat article about the 14-30 f4S

I'm thinking IQ is more likely the reason. I expect a future 24-105 or 24-120 will not be an 'S' lens, but one of the less expensive Z lenses Nikon is planning on releasing. Such a lens would be a great kit lens for an entry-level full-frame Z body.
I have not paid that much attention. There will be two lines of Z mount lenses?

Real Name
David
I'm thinking IQ is more likely the reason. I expect a future 24-105 or 24-120 will not be an 'S' lens, but one of the less expensive Z lenses Nikon is planning on releasing. Such a lens would be a great kit lens for an entry-level full-frame Z body.
Why? The current 24-120 f/4mm FX and 16-80mm DX eq are both gold ringed Nano coated lenses. And both have been offered in kits.

I just talked this weekend with one of my camera store contacts and he said that the Nikon rep shared some interesting info about the upcoming 70-200/2.8 z-mount. Supposedly, it is smaller than the f-mount versions from the past. He hinted that it would be around the same size as the 70-300/4.5-5.6VR.
The mockup Nikon had on display indicates the upcoming 70-200mm 2.8 S is going to be around the size of a standard 70-200mm 2.8 VR. Unless the mockup isn't an accurate representation of the finalized lens. Either that or your camera store contact is just blowing hot air! :X3::D

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
The mock Nikon had on display indicates the upcoming 70-200mm 2.8 S is going to be around the size of a standard 70-200mm 2.8 VR. Unless the mockup isn't an accurate representation of the finalized lens. Either that or your camera store contact is just blowing hot air! :X3::D

View attachment 1635851
Or the rep doesn't know their arse from their elbow. Lol. I've had that happen before too... It seems sometimes that the reps are the last to know.

It may also be that the camera store guy got confused on which system he was thinking. They often get a bunch of reps in from different camera companies all at once.

Last edited:
I just talked this weekend with one of my camera store contacts and he said that the Nikon rep shared some interesting info about the upcoming 70-200/2.8 z-mount. Supposedly, it is smaller than the f-mount versions from the past. He hinted that it would be around the same size as the 70-300/4.5-5.6VR. He also was able to handle the 24-70/2.8S and it is smaller and lighter than the 24-70/2.8VR f-mount equivalent. If the AF speed and lack of sound of the current lenses are any indication, then new 70-200 might be something to lust after...although that is about all I'll likely be doing with a guestimated price being around $2600-$3000 USD.

So good news on that front. That plus the rumors of potential lower end z mount mirrorless and a bunch of "consumer grade" z-mount glass will keep me happy for a while.
If a 70-200/2.8 is $2600-$3000 that will translate to £2600-£3000 in the UK (exchange rates never seem to apply on camera gear :(), in which case i'm out - my F mount 70-200/4 will have to continue in service for the foreseeable. I so want Nikon to introduce some lower priced lenses, £500 for a 50mm f1.8 is bonkers, come on Nikon please get us some cheaper glass.

Real Name
Andrew
If a 70-200/2.8 is $2600-$3000 that will translate to £2600-£3000 in the UK (exchange rates never seem to apply on camera gear :(), in which case i'm out - my F mount 70-200/4 will have to continue in service for the foreseeable. I so want Nikon to introduce some lower priced lenses, £500 for a 50mm f1.8 is bonkers, come on Nikon please get us some cheaper glass.
Unfortunately, I think we are in the age of camera companies selling less and need to increase the margins...so unless they do some really inexpensive designs, the prices might very well be our future. Luckily, I'm quite happy to use adapted f-mount glass. Recently picked up an 85/1.8 AF-S for $300 and upgraded my 50/1.8D to the 50/1.8G....very happy with them.

I talked to a Nikon rep regarding why Nikon opted for the 70-200mm 2.8 S first as opposed to an f4 version instead. He said the f4 version was one of their least popular lenses, but then again it could just be another case of hot air, considering Canon has 3 versions of the 70-200 f4 selling simultaneously on the market!

Real Name
David
I talked to a Nikon rep regarding why Nikon opted for the 70-200mm 2.8 S first as opposed to an f4 version instead. He said the f4 version was one of their least popular lenses, but then again it could just be another case of hot air, considering Canon has 3 versions of the 70-200 f4 selling simultaneously on the market!
Must be true, I mean it explains why both Tokina and Tamron have also released versions right?

I am happy with f4 zooms and f1.8 primes, for me the key for moving to Mirrorless was to reduce the weight on my back and shoulders, I understand that it will take a while to get a good lens selection on the market but I was hoping for the lenses to be smaller.

I also understand that a new system is going to be priced at a premium so waiting until the prices come down is fine. What I don’t understand is why lenses in the UK should be so expensive compared to the US, it cannot be market forces as a lens is the same in every country. Maybe someone who has a better grasp of the ‘financials’ could explain this one to me.

Until Nikon come up with some smaller prime lenses I am going to sit tight and use what I have via the FTZ, I guess in 12-18 months there will be a choice of second hand items available and at more sensible prices.

I wonder if anyone will come up with an adapters that allows AF on AFD lenses and better MF functionality with Ai and Ais lenses.

Must be true, I mean it explains why both Tokina and Tamron have also released versions right?
While Nikon hasn't explicitly acknowledged it, I think Nikon made the 70-300mm AF-P FX VR to fill the cheap telephoto gap in conjunction with the FTZ adapter. It also explains why it's the only AF-P FX lens in F-mount. It's the only FX lens that does handle like a native Z mount lens as well. Price wise it's cheaper than the native Sony 70-300mm G even with the FTZ adapter. Honestly, this is the lens Nikon needed to demo with the adapter.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you look at it in that way, Nikon will have all the slower f-stop range covered this year and will have 2 out of 3 of the 2.8 zoom trinity as well. Though I would prefer the 20mm over the 24mm to be released, but it could just be to compete against Sony's 24mm 1.4 GM which is selling very well right now.

Last edited:
Real Name
David
While Nikon hasn't explicitly acknowledge it, but I think Nikon made the 70-300mm AF-P FX VR to fill the cheap telephoto gap in conjunction with the FTZ adapter. It also explains why it's the only AF-P FX lens in F-mount. It's the only FX lens that does handle like a native Z mount lens as well. Price wise it's cheaper than the native Sony 70-300mm G even with the FTZ adapter. Honestly, this is the lens Nikon needed to demo with the adapter.

View attachment 1635875

If you look it in that way, Nikon will have all the slower f-stop range covered this year and will have 2 out of 3 of the 2.8 zoom trinity as well. Though I would prefer the 20mm over the 24mm to be released, but it could just be to compete against Sony's 24mm 1.4 GM which is selling very well right now.
That theory, in regard to 70-300, crossed my mind as well. I can understand the thought behind it and from all reports it's a good lens and does work very well the FTZ. But it makes for a bigger than necessary combination IMHO, it goes in the opposite direction they achieved with the 14-30 and 24-70.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom