Critique Nebraska State Capitol - Rotunda floor

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The mosaic on the rotunda floor of the Nebraska State Capitol was designed to be an artistic reflection of life and its natural elements: water, fire, air, and earth. But what makes this work remarkable is that it doesn’t just feature the elements normally associated with Nebraska, like prairie grasses or deer. Instead this mural was designed to represent life in the state as it looked at any point in its history.

That point could be when the building was erected in 1928, or millions of years ago in the Paleozoic Era. Which is why, in addition to butterflies and falcons, this mosaic features dinosaurs, an extinct giant tortoise, and a sabre-toothed tiger.

The animals and plants are arranged according to the four classical elements. The element of air is represented by birds and insects; water by fish and other sea animals; earth by various land animals; and fire by the dry desert conditions of the area 300 million years earlier.

Each of these plants and animals form a ring around a personified representation of the element. As for the dinosaurs, although Nebraska isn’t known for its dinosaur fossils, by expanding the idea of Nebraska to mean the Nebraska Territory (which includes Utah, Wyoming, and the Dakotas), the piece was able to include, for example, four species of dinosaur and two long-extinct birds.

The only way I could get this shot was to hand hold the camera over the railing.....and not drop it! :eek:

_85A8888_BW-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
A wonderful overhead shot!
Thanks, Mike. I have the color version, but I think the B&W emphasizes the design far more.
Really neat, Karen!! I guess I need to start visiting the state capitol buildings when we travel.
LOL! You learn a lot about our country and the various states....and it is fun, too!
Excellent work capturing this beautiful creation, Karen!
Wonderful b&w!
Thanks so much for your encouragement, Bart!
Creative composition...

Glenn
OK....creative as in "what in the world was she thinking?" or creative as in "at least she got the shot"? or creative as in "...hmmmm...that comp works!"???? Don't know any other composition I could have used other than the fish....hmmmm..... I thought shooting from ground level would not work, but guess I should have tried. It was the last image I took before leaving the capitol.

Seriously, don't hesitate to give me suggestions on what I could have done better....either in creating an image or in processing!!!! I WANT TO LEARN TO GET BETTER! LOL!

Thanks, Mike. I have the color version, but I think the B&W emphasizes the design far more.

LOL! You learn a lot about our country and the various states....and it is fun, too!

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Bart!

OK....creative as in "what in the world was she thinking?" or creative as in "at least she got the shot"? or creative as in "...hmmmm...that comp works!"???? Don't know any other composition I could have used other than the fish....hmmmm..... I thought shooting from ground level would not work, but guess I should have tried. It was the last image I took before leaving the capitol.

Seriously, don't hesitate to give me suggestions on what I could have done better....either in creating an image or in processing!!!! I WANT TO LEARN TO GET BETTER! LOL!
Definitely creative in that the composition works!

Glenn

Welcome to Nebraska! Our Capital building is certainly different than many of the others and you did a fine job making an image of the floor. My work brings me there a few times each legislative session and I never noticed the Paleozoic Era references.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Welcome to Nebraska! Our Capital building is certainly different than many of the others and you did a fine job making an image of the floor. My work brings me there a few times each legislative session and I never noticed the Paleozoic Era references.
Thanks so much, Brad. Most of my images were looking up! LOL! I wish I could have photographed the House, Senate and Supreme Court chambers.

BTW - we discovered Runza eateries. BEST salad I've ever had, hands down!

Thanks so much, Brad. Most of my images were looking up! LOL! I wish I could have photographed the House, Senate and Supreme Court chambers.

BTW - we discovered Runza eateries. BEST salad I've ever had, hands down!
I live in Grand Island about an hour+ west of Lincoln. It would have been fun to meet you and talk shop! The Runza is definitely a local flavor for Nebraska, I grew up eating there.

Nice image Karen. I don't know how high you were standing while shooting, but I'm glad that you didn't fall down.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom