1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NEC LCD 2690WUXi SV Version

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by crashmeister, Aug 31, 2008.

1. This monitor has an internal 12 bit LUT and the SV version comes with a colorimeter and software.

I already have a Monaco Optix XR colorimeter. Does anyone know if this will be able to program the monitor's LUT or will it only do the one in the Graphics Card ?

Bottom line is that I need to know whether I need the SV version or whether the one that comes without the colorimeter will be sufficient.

Thanks,

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Funny you should post this, I've just been reading up on the same monitor.

From what I've read, you need the SpectraVision software to calibrate the hardware LUT's. The colorimeter that you can purchase with the monitor is a NEC-branded eyeOne Display 2 which may have been modified to read the wider gamut of the display. The consensus of opinion seems to be that the off-the-shelf i1D2 works with the software just fine.

Can't recall reading anything about the Monaco colorimeter, though.

There are a couple of threads on the LL forum here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showforum=45 that you might find helpful.

Bill

3. The more I research - the more confusing it gets...

At this time I'm just going to bite the bullet and try to find an SV version. No-one seems to have any in stock.

I emailed NEC asking about the Monaco - I'll see what they say.

4. Thank you so much.

That seals it. If it works with my Monaco XR and I can get the software for $100, then I will go ahead and order the vanilla 2690WUXi-BK. At least that one is in stock at a few places.

Just looked on Windows Live Cashback. This is the one they don't have! :mad:  Oh well... just trying to save a few extra $$$.

$1,026.98 including shipping at MacMall. Order placed :) 

5. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Craig,

Hope you like it, I just ordered one today, same place, same price.

Now, how to explain to She Who Must Be Obeyed just whyyyyy, exactly, I need a new monitor???? :biggrin:

Bill

6. I hadn't got that far with the thought process yet. SWMBO, while mostly unobservant, is hardly going to miss a new 26" monitor on my desk standing next to the old 19" one.

OK, I have a few days to dream up an excuse... feel free to make suggestions folks...

7. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, mine arrived today courtesy of Amazon Prime and $3.99 next-day air shipping. :biggrin:

I was disappointed with MacMall, a friend had recommended them and I never thought to check them on resellerratings.com, but even though they showed the monitor in stock, they back-ordered it. Then they told me it would be in on 9/10, when I called to cancel they said they had it shipping on 9/12, and they still showed it in stock on the website. I checked their ratings and they're pretty abysmal, to say the least. Amazon had it for $1199 so I went with them.

But it's here, it's nailed to the wall and it profiled fine with the i1d2 and i1Match. You can see some lightening in the corners with a black screen in a dark room, but nothing I can see with room lights on and a normal desktop or a photo in LR with dark borders. I'm waiting for the SVII software from NEC to see if it makes a difference in profiling.

While it's hard to ignore the size, my photos just look a lot crisper than they did on the Viewsonic that preceded it. Colors are better and the images seem sharper. Haven't printed anything yet for a comparison, I imagine it'll take a little dialing in but I compared with some prints I'd done recently and soft-proofed in CS3, they look very, very close to the original file. A lot better match than with the Viewsonic.

Overall, I'm very happy so far with the monitor and wish I'd bought one sooner. The top-line Eizos are out of my price range, but for 'way less than the cost of a 24-70 it makes a big difference in what you see from the camera.

Bill

8. I just checked, and per UPS mine will arrive tomorrow. Assuming it is new, no dead pixel issues etc. then I think MacMall did OK. I'm not sure why yours was delayed longer than mine.

Can't wait - I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

9. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, Craig!

I'm glad to hear yours shipped, it looks like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing over at Macmall. :confused:  I think you're going to be very happy with the display.

I'm having a problem with the backlight bleeding in the corners with black images so you might want to check it out when you get set up. I noticed it at first with the room lights down so I created a black image in PS and loaded it as the desktop and, sure enough, the lightening in the corners is noticeable even under normal room lighting. It doesn't seem to have any effect on images in PS or LR but I spoke with NES TS and they said it shouldn't do that so it's going back to Amazon for a replacement....:frown:

Other than that, it's a very nice display and I'm very pleased with the way my images look in PS and LR.

Have fun!
    Bill

10. I have light corners too, but only with an 'empty' display. As soon as an image loads up, then it seems to be fine.

I set my screen saver to 'starfield'. That really shows up the light corners and some weird color shifts too.

What setup have you done so far ? I noticed that the monitor was very warm at the default setting (Native). I changed it to sRGB and it looked much better. I only just unpacked the box, so maybe this weekend I'll try profiling it using the graphics card LUT.

Gosh, talk about settings - I've never seen so many for a monitor before. A 40 page manual !!!

When are you getting SV-II ?

11. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Craig,

Haven't gotten the software yet, here's what I'm coming up with for settings with the i1d2 with the i1Match 3 software, after profiling and some good advice from other users:

Brightness:76.6
    Contrast:54.6
    Black Level:50(this was a recommendation from another user, the default of 128 was 'way too high)
    Low Bright Mode:Off
    Gamma Selection:2.2
    Color Control:Native
    Colorcomp:On
    Colorcomp Level:3(you can play with this).

The key seems to be turning the Black Level down. With the black level at the default of 128, I was running brightness down below 10% just to get to 140cd/m2. Profile accuracy improved a lot just by changing this setting.

I'm profiling to 6500K, gamma 2.2, luminance 140 cd/m2, native for color temp. With the Black Level run down to 50 and the above brightness/contrast settings, I'm hard-pressed to see a difference in the calibration on/off choices in the i1Match software. On previous profiles with the black level at default and reduced to 100, I was seeing a dramatic difference.

I've been comparing prints I post-processed using the Viewsonic to what I'm seeing on the NEC and the levels are very close, not a big difference in brightness and contrast. The difference I notice is that I'm seeing colors in the NEC that I can't see in the old prints. Before, it was the other way around. I'd see nuances of color from the Epson I never saw in the monitor. So now I can look forward to going back and re-proofing a bunch of print files..... Kind of a PITA but the results make it worth the time and effort.

As far as settings go, take the time to load the Advanced OSM menu. Turn the monitor off, then press the Power and Input buttons together for a second or so then press any other button. This gets you into the advanced menu and there are settings there you'll want to fool with.

If my SVII comes in before the weekend, I'll post back with the settings it comes up with. If it doesn't, let me know what you find for results.

Overall, I'd have to say this is the best investment I've made in gear in a long time. Being able to see what you've shot? Priceless! :biggrin:

Bill

12. Bill, thanks for the settings. I've printed them out and will play when I get a chance - stupid day job getting in the way of my fun!

I am holding off buying the SV-II software until I see what my Monaco Optix will do. I have a rather strong suspicion that SV-II is the way to go.

So here is a question: I have two monitors hooked up. The 2690 and my old 19" TN Panel. My graphics card (nVidia 9600GT) has a single LUT as far as I know. If I profile the 19" then profile the 2690 using the SV-II (internal LUT) the 2690 will have a profile on top of a profile. Any down side to that or should I not bother profiling the 19" ?

13. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Craig,

Hey, be thankful that you've got a day job and not depending on the construction business for an income! That's why I'm sitting here at 4:00 PM surfing the web..... no work! :frown:

With a single LUT on the graphics adapter it will only load one profile and that profile will be sent out to both monitors. Worst case is the NEC profile gets loaded first then overwritten by the other profile, then you've got to muck around in Windows to change the default monitor profile. I'd say don't profile the 19. Unless you want to buy another video card.

I'll let you now how the software works if it ever gets here.

Bill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.