NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXI

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Robert, May 2, 2007.

1. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I've started purchasing for a new computer build, and will be adding a new monitor very soon. The NEC 2690 (with calibrator0 has been at the top of my list, but I'm still unsure if it represents the best value for photography @ $2500.00.
    I have not seen any discussion about this monitor here...if you are using one, or have another preference for a 24" to 30" monitor I would appreciate your thoughts.
    It may be desirable for me down the road to display captured video, and apparently the NEC has poor response time. That, however seems to be it's only weakness.
    Eizo, Samsung, Dell, NEC, Sharp, OTHER...any preference?

2. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    They guys I have my printer profiles from have the new 26" NEC and absolutely love it. Have not seen it myself yet.

cheers
    afx

3. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I am surprised that there hasn't been a response from someone using this Monitor...it has been highly recommended in discussions (here) and in reviews. I was hoping to have some comments as to how well it performs especially when matched to prints etc.

Thanks Afx for your input!

4. qamaro

qamaro Guest

Information for your research

Robert,

I've been doing research on a new PC or MacPro myself and I'm down to the NEC 2690 and the Dell 3007WFP-HC. In my researching I found many posts from people utilizing the NEC and the Dell and others over in many forums (one in particular was very helpful). I haven't checked the rules lately on links and don't know if I can post if but, here goes (I guess a moderator can smack me later).

hxxp://www.hardforum.com/

Look under the Display area and this has many displays along with photos and small reviews from folks that are using it and with what. Some of the discussion get pretty technical (just like we can here with photography :biggrin: ).

I know that Dell sells the NEC so I may try one of them and then return it to see the other in action. The NEC is the ultimate in hardware calibration and the Dell is awe inspiring when it comes to resolution + size. There are some concerns about both displays wide color ranges and their ability to display sRGB correctly (over saturation is the issue). But I think the NEC you can "dumb" down the panel using the OSD. On the Dell though there is no OSD and so, all you can create a color profile for it (i.e. eye-one, spyder), although there seems to be discussions around it keeping the profile for all applications. The link should have this info and much more. Hope the information can be helpful to you and others. If I pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks I'll feedback the information I find.

Q

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

6. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Mike, the Eizos are not neccessarily better than the NECs. Especially the wide versions. The 24" wide screen from Eizo has some backlight issues which the NEC seems to avoid due to beeing LED backlit.

@Qmaro: I would not consider a Dell compared to Eizo or NEC, that is an office Monitor. The referenced NEC is a high end screen for accurate color work.

cheers
    afx

7. I use the Eizo 24 and it does have a slightly brighter side (the left). But it is very minor on this one.

And it does video and games well enough that I don't miss the CRT it replaced.

Brightness, color, sharpness are all the best I've ever seen. Granted I haven't seen the NEC. Virtually ever LCD I have ever used had some backlight, mask or other usually minor issue. I think it is still difficult to make a perfect one. Funny how good CRTs had gotten, other than wearing out as they did. And now they are gone. :(

8. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Qamaro,

Thanks for the link... I was following it but I'm not sure most of those comments came from photographers and so I appreciate your input.
    I wasn't aware that Dell also sells NEC.
    Yes please, I would appreciate your thoughts concerning the monitor you choose. :smile:
    ==================================================================
    Mike,

I am familiar with that article...thanks for reminding me. The Eizo is definately a contender, but I'm still unsure. I'll look for some other reviews etc on Eizo.

Thanks very much....apreciated!!!
    ===================================================================

AFX,

There was a discussion I recall about an issue with Eizo...can't remember where I saw it, and it also had a reference to an impact on colour fidelity. Can you point me to a discussion on this?

Thanks!!!
    =====================================================================

Beezle,

My 19" Trinitron is fabulous still, even though I have a slight hot spot in the upper left corner. I know it's days are numbered. I missed, by a few days only, Sony's sale when they let go of the remaining Artisans at 1/2 price.
    One thing that concerns me with the NEC is the response time for video...apparently it's really lacking in that area. As you say...a perfect LCD doesn't exist.
    Thanks!!!

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Although not under discussion here, I have the LaCie 321 LCD and its very accurate with color that rivals the best CRT I ever owned. At around $1600 it would be a deal compared to the NEC and Eizo being discussed.

10. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Can you read German? I have seen it at the Nikon Fotografie Forum in this thread.
    It basically boils down to wider screens having a gamma shift issue with S-PVA.
    Rereading that thread I'd say have a look at the screen first before you judge it.

cheers
    afx

11. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Mike,

I appreciate your inclusion of another Eizo, and I will give it a look-see.
    Thanks!!!

==========================================================

Afx,

Thanks for the link but...unfortunately I don't understand German.
    I wish I could easily view one of the NEC monitors but even in the Toronto area I'm having a tough time finding a dealer/someone who has one.

Thanks, :smile:

12. qamaro

qamaro Guest

Robert,

If you can find the Lacie 526 I hear that these use the same panels that are in the NEC 2690 (i.e. Lacie buys these OEM panels from NEC for use in the 526). :smile:

Q

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Robert, the LaCie 321 is not an Eizo, its a LaCie. Great bang for the buck.

14. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Actually, the LaCies do not use NEC Panels, they use the whole NEC monitor, just a little different casing. The panels come from elsewhere depending on the exact model.
    cheers
    afx

15. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Mike,

I will have a look at Lacie...thanks for the reminder about them! I am really wanting to go fairly wide-screen and will look at their offerings, especially now that I know they use NEC hardware.
    Thank you!!:smile:

16. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Qamaro and AFX,

Thanks for your replies. I'll give a close look into Lacie, and will be hopefully making a purchase in the next short while...so many products to choose from!

17. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Lacie 526 vs NEC 2690

The Lacie 526 looks to be excellent. However, if it uses the same monitor as the NEC 2690 I wonder what the difference could be between the two. What would be the incentive to purchase the Lacie model over the NEC?
    I can order the NECWUXiBKSV 2690 (with calibrator) for $2100.00 Cdn. plus tax. That looks to be about the same cost I'll see for the new Lacie.

Are there any quality or customer service trends with these companies that I should be aware of? I could flip a coin, but will feel most comfortable purchasing with some solid reasons for my choice. I did not find any reviews on the Lacie 526...it's just out on the maket.

Looking at the available spec sheets for both, these are some of the differences I see:

NEC Colour Gamut: 93.4 Adobe Colour Space
    Lacie 95% Adobe RGB

Respnse Time:
    NEC: 12ms Rapid Response 16ms
    Lacie: 6.5ms G to G 8ms G to G

Calibrator:
    NEC/Gretag MacBeth
    Lacie Blue-Eye Pro Colourmeter

Hood: NEC: not included, Lacie: included

Warranty:
    NEC 4 years
    Lacie 3 years

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The response time concerns me. The response time on the NEC is low for motion, and unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the Lacie appears to have an even lower response time.

This has to be one of the more pleasant decisions one makes in life! I am very unfamiliar with all of the tech considerations here and so want to say...
    Thanks guys for your help!!!:smile: